SharePoint AND NAV 2009

Ravi_ThakkarRavi_Thakkar Member Posts: 392
edited 2010-05-17 in NAV Three Tier
Hello Experts,

I just have completed the work related to Sharepoint and NAV 5.0 by using NAV Employee Portal.

Now, I am having the new work related to Sharepoint and NAV 6.0 (NAV 2009). I have heared about NAV 2009 that In sharepoint developement work with NAV 2009, we do not need to use Employee Portal. (Not sure) (Give me confirmation).

So, can anybody please, suggest me any of the Developement or help materials?
Any of the helps will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
Ravi_Thakkar
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
E Mail : ravi.thakkar@hotmail.com

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Sharepoint Display target was postponed and is not part of the NAV 2009.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Ravi_ThakkarRavi_Thakkar Member Posts: 392
    Hi Kine,

Thanks for your urgent reply.
    Can you please, explain your sent reply in detail?
    So, that I can understand it and can make the confirmation.

Thanks in Adv.
    Ravi_Thakkar
    It means that the functionality which was planned to connect NAV 2009 to Sharepoint by some "native" way is not there (sometime called Sharepoint Client for NAV 2009) and you can use the Employee Portal or use WebServices to connect the data to Sharepoint.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks Kine.

Please, tell me, If I use the Web-Services then whether I need to use the Employee Portal or not?

And Please, suggest me the develpoement material or user guide for the Sharepoint development without using the Employee Portal.

Thanks in Adv.
    Ravi_Thakkar
    Thanks Kine.

Please, tell me, If I use the Web-Services then whether I need to use the Employee Portal or not?

And Please, suggest me the develpoement material or user guide for the Sharepoint development without using the Employee Portal.

Thanks in Adv.

WebServices are not depending on the Employee Portal. EP is NAV module, which allows you to configure the EP through User interface. WebServices are there for integrating the NAV 2009 with 3rd party systems (e.g. Sharepoint). You cannot easilly change what is in the WebServices through user interface, but you can through development environment. Using the NAV WebServices on Sharepoint is than question for some Sharepoint developer or site.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Thanks Kine.

For that Please, suggest whether I need any customization on asp.net side or not?

e.g. If I need to make all the Customers visible from Sharepoint site and also want to allow to create then what steps I need to perform? (please suggest me in detail)

I found some concepts on the Demo video of NAV 2009 but not clear.
    Please, suggest me any useful docs or Postings.

Thanks in Adv.
    Ravi_Thakkar
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    please suggest in detail, LOL.

the possibilities within the demo aren't there anymore and will not come. Webservices is just a way of providing a way to enter and get data (simplified), no interface. You will have to build your own interface in sharepoint if you don't want customization. Reading your answers, I would no suggest building it yourself :D . also keep in mind that the EP does not allow much customization, and therefore not everybody likes / uses it.

I suggest you just call your partner, and get the best advice out there...
    Hi p.willemse6,

Thanks for your nice suggestion, but FYI I am an Software Developer working in the Microsoft Partner company.

Just having no experience in Sharepoint with NAV 2009.
    I have already worked in Sharepoint with NAV 5.0 using Employee Portal. But now one of our client's requirement is for the same.

And ya, I got some help from the MSDN link,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd355036.aspx

I also created the application to create Customer from Sharepoint in Console Application. (Using help from above link)

Now, if any body is having any idea for this work with GUI then please help.

Thanks in Advance.
    Ravi_Thakkar
    Hi, All Experts,

I watch the NAV 2009 Demo video again.
    In Sharepoint part of that video, they have clearly shown the Sharepoint access.
    So, its is totally based on Page objects in NAV.

But, for that Sharepoint site access, whether we need to define any startup perameter? if yes then it will be with Nav Emp. Portal.

To work with Sharepoint in NAV 5.0. there is a proper document for the step by step installation. So, Can anybody help me in the installation procedure for the Sharepoint for NAV 2009?

Thanks in Advance.
    Ravi_Thakkar
    Ravi, again: the sharepoint integration you saw in the video has been killed. It is not there, and will not come. This has nothing to do with the employee portal. When you want to access NAV via an external application, you need a dynamics client for office. This offers no functionality at all, just the permission to talk to the Dynamics server. The GUI will be a whole different ball game....
    Oh p.willemse6,

I aggree with you. (Thanks)

Now, we have two choices to work with NAV 2009 from an external application.
    1) Using NAV Employee Portal
    - Need to work same as NAV 5.0 Sharepoint.
    2) Using NAV Web Services
    - It will require customization for the GUI on asp.net application side.

Please, tell me whether I am right or wrong and also specify if any other option is present.

Thanks in Advance.
    Ravi_Thakkar
    you are right. There is a third alternative: ITIS. They made the EP a long time ago, but developed it further. you can contact them via their site...
    Hi p.willemse6,

Thanks for you instant and proper replies.
    Ravi_Thakkar
    Ravi, again: the sharepoint integration you saw in the video has been killed. It is not there, and will not come.

That's not true. Do not spread false information please.

The "Sharepoint target" (Microsoft Dynamics client for Sharepoint) was postponed, it is not part of the NAV 2009 yet, it is in plan for next version now. One reason is waiting for next version of Sharepoint with some new features which will help to do it better.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Kine, we have been assured that it is out of the roadmap. It is not in for SP1 or NAV 2010.
    Interesting, never heard that. Are we talking about the same thing?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    The functionality as shown in the Sharepoint demo given by Darren Laybourn in the video here on mibuso will not be released. This has been assured by MS Netherlands, as well as MS Denmark...
    Right now I am waiting for answer to my e-mail I have sent to someone who will know more...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Alright I'll go along with that the stuff that Darren showed won't be a part of any release, as in "the exact way that we used to do this", the actual binaries.

BUT they've been talking about a Sharepoint display target for future versions for almost 5 years, as recently as Directions in the US last November (2 months ago). Moving away from that would be a dramatic change. I can see how they are looking into a DIFFERENT way to create a Sharepoint display target, but until I hear it straight from Microsoft I do not believe that this has been abandoned. And if it would indeed be a move away from Sharepoint, I am sure it would be replaced by some other online display target (although that is wild speculation on my part).

This kind of stuff is usually under NDA by the way, I am wondering if this discussion even belongs here.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Maybe they are planning to do it using Linux and Java.....
    DenSter wrote:
    Alright I'll go along with that the stuff that Darren showed won't be a part of any release, as in "the exact way that we used to do this", the actual binaries.

BUT they've been talking about a Sharepoint display target for future versions for almost 5 years, as recently as Directions in the US last November (2 months ago). Moving away from that would be a dramatic change. I can see how they are looking into a DIFFERENT way to create a Sharepoint display target, but until I hear it straight from Microsoft I do not believe that this has been abandoned. And if it would indeed be a move away from Sharepoint, I am sure it would be replaced by some other online display target (although that is wild speculation on my part).

This kind of stuff is usually under NDA by the way, I am wondering if this discussion even belongs here.

There have been meetings under NDA, but this is from an email from MS telling what work around there is for the integration of sharepoint (BDC stuff), and from conversations my colleagues had on directions. Ofcourse a different solution will be there, however we have been told this one basically wasn't technically good enough...
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The functionality as shown in the Sharepoint demo given by Darren Laybourn in the video here on mibuso will not be released. This has been assured by MS Netherlands, as well as MS Denmark...

This was exactly my understanding from what they said at Convergence, and convergence is NOT NDA, so this is public information.

Actually I was very impressed with the openness and willingness to "tell it as it is" that I saw for the first time ever at Convergence in Copenhagen last year.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    So that means what... there will be a Sharepoint client, just not the one that Darren demoed?
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    davmac1 wrote:
    Maybe they are planning to do it using Linux and Java.....

I guess somebody has sense of humor. :P
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    DenSter wrote:
    So that means what... there will be a Sharepoint client, just not the one that Darren demoed?

I hope they release some info on what their plan is. MS has been pushing Sharepoint hard the whole point of using pages instead of forms was so that you could have different display targets.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • brunobruno Member Posts: 1
    I suggest to keep an eye on the NAV Statement of Direction document (to be published on PartnerSource) which is due February 1st 2009.

(https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... oolkit.htm)

My guess: Don't expect too much ...
    we got suggested a solution kind of like what they do to a webshop: connect to webservices, and build it yourselves...

only good plan seems to be ITIS at this moment...

I agree they will come up with something, my hope is that it will even be better than what Darren showed...
    Hi, all experts,

I found very interesting and important discussion among you all.

1) In the NAV help material for Web Services, one example for printing the Customer List is given by using the Console Application.

And due to that Console Application it is publishing the project as a *.exe software which will not make sence to be used as a web site.

So, can I use it as a web site?

2) I just wanted to ask about web services authorization problem.

According to my lknowledge, web services provides Windows Authentication.

If I have created a web project and hosted it on the server,
    so if I access it from pc other then the server in the intranet then whether system will ask abuot any typr of authentication or not?

Please, suggest me according answers.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ravi_Thakkar
    Depends on the application and settings...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DarkSideDarkSide Member Posts: 46
    Yes, you should look at Activigence which was created by the original authors of employee portal. We have several sucessful implemenations and it is compatible with NAV 2009.

www.itis.de
    My mommy says I'm special