neccesary access speed to server

erin3358erin3358 Member Posts: 4
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with some Navision users situated in an other country.
First i've made them connect directly to the server via internet but had bad performances. Every action takes between 15sec and 5 minutes.
Then i've set up a VPN connection hopping for an improvement with no success.

Can anyone tell me what is the baud rate necessary for a good access speed to the database?

I use MS Nav 5.0 SP1 with SQL 2005 STD Server on a HP (2X2.5Gb CPU, 8GB RAM)

Thank you,
Cris

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    why do you not use citrix or MS Terminal Service for this? So only the Display Informations, the printer datas and the keystrokes will be send through the Internet. Also you should use a secure WAN (for example a VPN) connection. Also don't forget, that the users also download some files over the network or ms or send / receive emails, use videostreams, etc. ..... We use on our customers min a 2MBit SDSL connection

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • erin3358erin3358 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your respons garak

i can not ask users to use Remote Desktop Connection for working in Nav.
    i've setup a secure VPN using Cisco routers, but because of the internet connecion at the second site i have only an average of 80kps between the offices.

This is the reason i'm looking for the internet speed necessary for using MS Nav.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    No internet speed is good enough for a direct connection to NAV, there is just too much data traffic for that to ever work properly. Your best option is to provide Citrix or RDP connection for remote users.
  • klavinklavin Member Posts: 117
    But why not a seamless window using Citrix, and just publishing the Nav application? Our company has several locations in the US, Canada, UK all running from the Nav box in NJ, USA. Using point to point T1's (even internationally) we use Navision and a 5 server Citrix farm every day perfectly. I can not even begin to imagine trying to run the client even over the T1 from any other location, I've accidently done it while at a remote site out of habit and it's just unworkable.

Citrix through your vpn is a very good solution, i'm not sure you're going to find a rate of speed that is better.
    -Lavin
    "Profanity is the one language all programmers know best."
    erin3358 wrote:
    i can not ask users to use Remote Desktop Connection for working in Nav.

Why do you not can use Terminal Sevices like CITRIX and there you publish only NAV?
  • erin3358erin3358 Member Posts: 4
    i will give it a try using citrix.

thank you
    erin3358 wrote:
    i will give it a try using citrix.

thank you

Try it (but don't forgett, it's not for free :-( ). For userconnections in different countries (areas) it's the best solution.