setting users with Read & Reports permissions only

davealfadavealfa Member Posts: 34
hi!

I need to set a group of users to be able to Read and run Reports only, ie they cannot modify any data.

I have set all the Object Types to Read Permission = yes, and only for the Table Data the Modify Permission = Indirectly.

All seemed to be working fine but when the users tried to Print (not Preview) a Customer Statement, they get an error "You do not have permission to modify records in the Customer table." I cannot grant Modify Permissions = Yes to the Customer table, as the users would be able to amend the customer records!!

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

thanks!
Dave

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Just modify the report in question to not modify the Customer record.

You can export the report into a text file and search for .MODIFY and comment them out where appropriate.
  • davealfadavealfa Member Posts: 34
    By commenting out .Modify what will that imply, as this same report is being run but other users who have Modify permissions? also, there's a possibility that there are other reports with the same problem, but haven't yet been found by the users.

my question is, what's the norm when asked to set a group of user with Read Only & reports permissions?
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Comment out the code is the easy way if you do not care about keeping the number of prints on reports.

The better way to go about it (so the functionality does not get loss for people who actually have permission to modify customer) is:
    if customer.writepermission then

In this particular case, there's no "norm", it's what you're comfortable with by understanding what information is being modified and whether or not you believe the informatoin being modified is important to your business.

There are bound to be more areas where the users may get this error (i.e. Sales Invoice, Sales Credit Memo, etc). If you're not too familiar with which NAV reports modifies tables, the way to go about it is trial and error, or export the reports that the users prints to text file and find .MODIFY, .DELETE, .INSERT.

And becareful not to modify reports that have processes that REQUIRES certain records to be modified, inserted, or deleted.