Dataporting Error

RS8RS8 Member Posts: 121
Hi,
While Dataporting for Item master, i got an error as

"The Length of the source exceeds the size of the destination buffer"

i have increased field width of Description(250), Search Description(250), Description2(200). The size of the data is less comparing to the length of the field, but it gives error..

can anyone suggest a solution for this.

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    you increased the 3 fields in the item table? hope, that you also does this for the other tables and functions that use the item description and the search description.

To your error message: Did you start the debugger?
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • RS8RS8 Member Posts: 121
    yes, i have increased width for all related objects, is ther any particular buffer table, for this.. can any one mention the ID of the object..
  • BeckaBecka Member Posts: 178
    Hi.. Activate Debbuger and then run Dataport. And you'll see where exactly the error occures.. Then go to the destination point and rechange size of the field.
    Good Luck :wink:
    MCSD
    Attain Navision
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    please do not increase the item description. Create new fields. You'll will be getting the error nonstop until you modify 100's of objects.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    dude :? , Description(250), Search Description(250), Description2(200)
    Lesson 1.. think about how your changes will effect other areas of the system.

I have a dataport that takes the description and if it's too big it cuts & sizes it.
    basically if your dataport imports the description into a variable (mydescription) in this example.
    the copystr takes care of the rest.

first 30 characters go to the item description - chars 31 to 60 go to "description 2"

Item.Description := UPPERCASE(COPYSTR(mydescription, 1, 30));
    Item."Description 2" := UPPERCASE(COPYSTR(mydescription,31,30));