Connecting Nav With SQL 2008

vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
Dear Concern
I have created SQL Server 2008 and I have created Database also in SQL Server 2008.When I am login with Locat Machine where SQL Server 2008 is installed there I can found the SQL SERVER Name by clicking arrow button in finsql in servername.When I m connecting finsql from Client(i.e another machine) then that SQL server name does not found while clicking the lookup button of SQL Server name.The Client machine is pinging correctly with server machine and I can connect that SQL Server machine also by going Start->Run.Please tell me that what is issue if there is some patch plzz let me know.
Vikram Dabas
Navision Technical Consultant

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Have you tried just typing in the server name?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    5.0 Version and higher do not lookup for all available sql server. You have to type the name, or IP address of the sql server.
    Nav only looks at local machine.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
    Dear concern
    I have type the name as well as IP also still I m not able to connect with server from Client machine it gives me the error 'serve(server name) does not found'.
    Vikram Dabas
    go to command prompt and see if you can ping the SQL Server.

Is the SQL Server Enabled to allow external connections? By default SQL does not allow external computer to connect to it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Dear concern
    Yes I can ping the server machine in SQL is installed.
    Vikram Dabas
  • navuser1navuser1 Member Posts: 1,329
    Dear Vikram,
    Some of the errors you might be seeing are:

1. sql server does not allow remote connections

2. SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

3. An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2008,this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.(provider:Named Pipes Provider,error:40-Could not open connection to SQL Server))

4.Server does not exist or access denied

If yes, configure SQL Server 2008 for remote access.
    Now or Never
    Dear concern
    Yes I can ping the server machine in SQL is installed.

Is the SQL Server Enabled to allow external connections? By default SQL does not allow external computer to connect to it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

What version of Windows Server are you using? If you're using Server 2008 you may need to open some firewall settings. Server 2008 installs the Windows firewall and blocks the ports use by SQL.
    Dear area3n
    I m using SQL Server2008 in this where I will find this(allow externel connection)option
    Vikram Dabas
    Open SQL Server Management Studio. connect to the server. Right click on Server and select properties. Click on Connections and make sure allow remote connection is checked.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Only Express and Developer editions have remote connections disabled by default. All other versions have it enabled.