Can't copy/paste

imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
Using Nav 5.0

I wanted to copy the standard Account schedules (form 104) from one company to another. My immediate thought was to just copy and paste them, but oddly I can't. Whatever element I try and copy/paste fails with the following error:
The last editing action (often 'paste') was ignored because it would have caused the maximum number of characters (100) for the text box Row No. to be exceeded.
Now I've used copy/paste to move this type of data fairly often and this hasn't happened before. so I'm a bit perplexed.

At first I thought it may be because of table differences or form differences. So I selected table 'Column Layout Name' - one of the sub-sub tables used by this process. It only contains a few rows and three columns. The table definition seems to be identical between the two Db's - but I cannot copy/paste from table to table - I get the same error.

Whats going on? Anyone got any suggestions.

Adding to the mystery, while I was copying from one db to another on form 'Acc. Schedule Line' I was able to copy on one attempt, but not a second.

This is not a problem on my Pc - I've tried this on a clients system and on my own system and I get the same result..... :cry:

Hopefully this is something obvious I'm just not seeing [-o< - can anyone offer any help?

Ian

Comments

• mstallmannmstallmann Member Posts: 138
    Try copy and paste directly at the table level and you will insure it isn't a form problem. Object Designer -> Table. filter for the account schedule yoou want to copy and give it a try.
  • imurphyimurphy Member Posts: 308
    Already tried copying/pasting to/from the underlying tables and it didn't work either. I did mention it above in the original posting but its not very obvious.

I've also tried changing the selection 'style' before pasting to try and select the row or whole table and not have the first cell in edit mode - all to no avail.

Ian
  • DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Ian,

Have you tried to dataport out and then back in? - should be quick to setup
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
    Hi Dave,

Not yet - I was banging my head against the screen this morning at 1am when I decided to call it a day (night... moring?) and posted in the hopes that someone would have a suggestion.

I don't understand the mechanism going on here. If you can copy/paste from one table to another it should work. I understand why in some forms this is disabled due to it not making sense, dut this is not a data integrity issue - its not even getting so far as to dump a single cell of data into the form, instead it seems to be putting the whole of the copied data into the first cell - and provoking the error.

I've tried simplfying this down by copying the smallest table involved here - three columns, 5 rows of data. No calc fields. The table is 'Column Layout Name' and I can't copy this one either.

In other places copy is possible - so the copy functionality is not broken.

Ian
    Hi Ian,

Are the databases / companies the same version and language?
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    Yup, I've tried this with two 5.0dbs using Nav5 in English/Spanish at the same time.

I've also tried between a Cronus 5.0sp1 and an updated clients 5.0sp1 db and it does the same.

Only tried this with the 5.0sp1 Nav client.

However I've found an alternative solution. While writing a collection of Dataports to do as you suggested I noticed that MS have a localized tool to import standarized account schedules which I can use. Tried it out and it does exactly what I want.

The pasting problem still perplexes me though.

Ian
    Hi Ian,

Yes it is puzzling, as I have tried it and it's working fine. If you change the order it still works. Pasting in notepad it pastes the heading as well which is probably how the exe recognises it.
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
  • ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    imurphy wrote:
    Yup, I've tried this with two 5.0dbs using Nav5 in English/Spanish at the same time.

I've also tried between a Cronus 5.0sp1 and an updated clients 5.0sp1 db and it does the same.

Only tried this with the 5.0sp1 Nav client.

However I've found an alternative solution. While writing a collection of Dataports to do as you suggested I noticed that MS have a localized tool to import standarized account schedules which I can use. Tried it out and it does exactly what I want.

The pasting problem still perplexes me though.

Ian

before pasting, make sure that you are not on the existed records. i mean that an (*) character should be exist on left side of line.