Cannot login

doubtfiredoubtfire Member Posts: 60
I have moved a backup of database (db1) from one server to restore on another server/domain. The same name (db1) is used as the database but I got an error when I try to login, this message shows up "the combination of user id and password is invalid. Try again.". Could anyone tell me what I miss or something done wrong? Thank you.

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    edited 2009-01-08
    databaselogin or Windows login and native or sql?
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    Read also this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23830
  • doubtfiredoubtfire Member Posts: 60
    It's Windows authentication. Thanks and I would try your attachment.
    I have read your link (also your notes), how about a new user on the new server but old transfer database? Any suggestions if I do not use any old users but create a new one?! Oldserver01 - Olddb1 - Olduser01 vs Newserver01 - Olddb1 - Newuser01 (only database is same name). Danke!
    Bitte ;-)

if you move the database from domain A to domain B the users can't logon because the Windows User ID (its a GUI) is not the same. The User name is the same, but windows identify the user per GUI. So you must create the new logins on your AD (this you have) and after this add this new logins (like NEWDomain\Username) also in the databese and remove the old logins (like OLDDomain\Username).

Regards
    Danke!
    Actually, I have done "exactly" what you mentioned. After creating a new user (domain Administrator group member in Windows & dbowner in database) , I got the same error "the combination of user id and password is invalid. Try again.". Do I have to add this new user (on old database) before I backup/transfer to the new domain/server !? Salute.
    Anyone out there who has new and detailed instruction to help me to "re-login" to my transfer database !? Thanks.
    read the articleshere
    if you need to connect (Admin) you can also login as 'sa' and then configure the other users.