How to enter County on card showing address fields?

havhav Member Posts: 299
Hi all,
I am trying to create a new Company using Company Information card.
I see all fields related to address on the card except the County field.

The underlying table has a County column but i do not know where to enter its value on the corresponding card.

Thanks,
Regards,
Hemant
MCTS (MB7-841 : NAV 2009 C/SIDE Solution Development)

Answers

• DaveTDaveT Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi,

The county field is not normally a lookup (on my version anyway) - it is possible that it is a customisation. Otherwise look in the post code setup - Administration -> Application Setup -> Post Codes
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    http://www.simplydynamics.ie/Addons.html
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    hav wrote:
    That's not how you create a new company. Company Information is supposed to hold information for only the current company that you are in. To create a new company, go to File, Company, New and create it there.
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Going to File, Company, New is also not the proper way to create a new company as you will encounter "You do not have permission..." errors even with Partner License (not sure if it was fixed in >= 5.0 versions).
    The most error free way is to restore a backup of an existing company & delete all the unrelated/unnecessary transactional/master data & modify the relevant setups.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    idiot wrote:
    Going to File, Company, New is also not the proper way to create a new company
    Yes, it is
    idiot wrote:
    you will encounter "You do not have permission..." errors even with Partner License (not sure if it was fixed in >= 5.0 versions).
    no you don't

You have had some bad experience with that I assume, but I've been creating companies for almost 9 years with file, company, new.
    idiot wrote:
    The most error free way is to restore a backup of an existing company & delete all the unrelated/unnecessary transactional/master data & modify the relevant setups.
    Error free maybe, as in 'no error messages are displayed', but not the safest way to get a blank company. First of all, you are talking about a company ready to start entering transaction, with all master tables set up. What I am tlaking about is starting a enw company, as in completely blank. Who's to say you don't forget a few tables, you have to reset numbering series and all that. This method involves a lot more work than you make it out to be.
  • havhav Member Posts: 299
    DenSter wrote:
    hav wrote:
    That's not how you create a new company. Company Information is supposed to hold information for only the current company that you are in. To create a new company, go to File, Company, New and create it there.

I knew this.
    Actually I was trying to update the Company address rather than creating a new one.

Anyway, my main problem is setting the County field from the card.
    Is this field present on any form?
    If not, why does the underlying table contain this field?

If you open the Countries/Regions form, it contains Address Format field, which you can set it to say City + County + Postcode for a given Country code.
    Inspite of setting this format for a Country, i do not know how the County field will be printed on reports. It will be printed blank only.

If you look the Postcode say US-FL 31725, does this value means that the postcode is prefixed with County value, ie. FL --> Florida.
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    DenSter wrote:
    Error free maybe, as in 'no error messages are displayed', but not the safest way to get a blank company. First of all, you are talking about a company ready to start entering transaction, with all master tables set up. What I am tlaking about is starting a enw company, as in completely blank. Who's to say you don't forget a few tables, you have to reset numbering series and all that. This method involves a lot more work than you make it out to be.
    That depends on how well your company has developed its standard operating procedures & whether your consultants follow it accordingly.
    The objectives of a new company, whether from company -> new or by restore should be the same, the method depending on your comfort zone, also the similarity of the new company from the existing ones. If the new company is very similar to an existing one, shouldn't restore & data cleansing be faster?
    If I remember there was some codeunit which was able to remove all the transactional data...

Well in all my clients' database (4.00..4.02) using the clients' own licenses, Nav checks for the primary key for setup tables in some of the modules which the clients did not purchase. I had posted this problem previously in this forum & nobody was able to offer a reason/solution.
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23114
    It seems to affect my country only...

Had just tested which the following error occurred: You do not have permission to run the EP Web Part Request table.
    The company is there by acknowledging the error & you need to acknowledge this error everytime you open the company .
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    Guys pls reply to my querries.
    Regards,
    Hemant
    Hi,

When you do a lookup into the table, can you do a Zoom (Ctrl+F8) and tell us what table this is using.
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    It opens Country/Region table(ID = 9) when i lookup Country/Region code on Company Information card.
    Regards,
    Hemant
    edited 2009-01-09
    I have not looked at the form just now, but it's an easy task to add the county field to the form.

<edit>in the US localization, county is labeled 'state'</edit>
    idiot wrote:
    That depends on how well your company has developed its standard operating procedures & whether your consultants follow it accordingly.
    I get your objective, I do, but it is not the same as what the OP asked about. If someone is trying to create a new company by inserting a new record into Company Information (which turned out wasn't the case, but that's beside the point) then surely you would agree I hope that this is not the right way. Creating a new company (as in a completely new company, the primary goal) is done by file, company, new.

Now depending on a secondary objectives (i.e. having a company ready to start entering transactions) you could follow the restore/cleanse path, but in that case you're going to have to create the company with a partner license, and be damn careful to delete all setups that the customer doesn't have the license for. The level of success then depends on what the source company is. Do you have a standard set up for all your customers? Do you specifically have such a company for each customer? You are right that it depends on a lot of things, which would have meant having to make a lot of assumptions, and I usually don't make that many assumptions in these post. To call me on it saying that I was wrong though I think is taking it a bit too far.
    @ Hav

To avoid further confusion.

The county field is on the card and is not normally maintained from a lookup. The field beside this is the post code. Does your screen look like this:
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    read the manuals how to create a new company (File -> company -> New). The table company info (table 79) is only for informations about the company. If you not see some fields in the form company informations (form 1), but these fields exist in the table (table 79) you must open the company info form in design mode and add this fields to the form.

With creating a new company (File -> Company), the system creates new tabels to store the company own datas like Items, Vendors, Customers, Invoices, Orders and so on ...... After creating a new company you can fill out the Company Infomation form
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    I keep forgetting that we have pictures :)
    Same here, note that county is labeled 'State'

The County field in Conpany Information is a text field with no table relationship. The state field is populated when a city or post code has a county specified and you select it from the lookup.
  • ritesh.singhritesh.singh Member Posts: 123
    hav wrote:
    The underlying table has a County column but i do not know where to enter its value on the corresponding card.

Thanks,

This is not available on the card but you can get it on the card. County is no seperate table here. but you can type in there name of the county you are in. County is not used in india as here we have only state, pin code.

Regards,
    Thanks,
    Ritesh K Singh
    @Dave, @Denster
    My company information card is displayed as

Note that my location is India and i am using Dynamics NAV 5.0 W1 SP1 with developer licence.

I need to convince a prospect in U.S. and show him how County field can be seen on the card.

Thanks 'n' Regards,
    Hemant
    Regards,
    Hemant
    Hi Hemant,

The County field should be on the form (I've checked Ver 5.0 W1). It's should still be on the table so design the form and add the field to the form.
    Dave Treanor

Dynamics Nav Add-ons
    hav wrote:
    Note that my location is India and i am using Dynamics NAV 5.0 W1 SP1 with developer licence.

I need to convince a prospect in U.S. and show him how County field can be seen on the card.
    If you are working with a US prospect, then you need to get yourself a US database.

The field that is called "county" in W1 is the same field as the one that is called "State" in US. They are the same physical field in the Company Information table, they just have different labels.
    Thanks for all your support and guidance.

Regards,
    Hemant
    Regards,
    Hemant