Record Size on Table Information

iluiniluin Member Posts: 5
Hello,

Our version is Navision 4.1 ans SQL2005. There are three companies in our database. I found a very strange issue when i check table "Talbe information". Table "Table Information" has fileds "No. of Records" and "Record Size". I thinks "Record Size" should be fix for a table. But actually "Record Size" is different in different companies for same table. e.g. Table 36 "Sales Header", When "No. of Records" is 7019, "Record Size" is 1495.08B; "No. of Records" is 4077,"Record Size" is 1770.54B; "No. of Records" is 36, "Record Size" is 7736.89B. Who can explain this issue? Thanks a lot.

Thanks,
Lucy

Comments

• kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    I think the record size is an approximation and it shows a value that contains the size of the SIFT data. If you Optimize a table you'll see that the record size changes... I don't know exactly how this is calculated...
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Just one comment> NAV 4.1 is not recommended with SQL 2005. Please, make technical upgrade to newer version (NAV 4.00SP3 or NAV 5.0SP1).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • iluiniluin Member Posts: 5
    Could you tell me how to optimize a table?
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    File -> Database -> Information -> Tables

You select as many tables as you like and press Optimize.

Warning: Depending on the size of your database tables and your security model, pressing optimize might take a huge amount of time and a huge amount of disk space through the transaction log. Search the forum for optimize (or similar terms) and you'll find a great deal of info on this subject. This is actually one of the ways to keep your system in a "good" performance - wise state...

You might need to select a few tables at a time and backup your transaction log in the middle.