Item Ledger Entry Table locked

teguhbcyahooteguhbcyahoo Member Posts: 3
Dear,

We just migrate from Navision Attain 3.01 to Ms Dynamic NAV 5.0 sp1 using Ms SQL 2008 Server, but everytime we do a posting we have this error message "Item Ledger Table cannot be change because it is Locked by another user, wait until the user is finished and then try again".

Did anyone ever have this problem ?

Thx,
Teguhbc

Comments

• nav_dellnav_dell Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    Have you tried file > database > information and then drill into current sessions.

The blocking column will populate if a user is getting blocked. It should tell you who/what it is.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    That message is not always because an actual other human being is locking the table. Most often it is caused by code that is modifying the same record in two different processes. This sounds like a code bug to me that is caused during the objet upgrade. I would take that problem to your NAV partner that helped you upgrade.
  • teguhbcyahooteguhbcyahoo Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Thank you very much for your response, regarding this problem I'am also having a problem with the posting speed which is taking soo long and sometime we had that error messages...

if I see on the server performance monitor the Average Disk Time % is high same as average Disk read % (it can go up to 800%) my server configurations as below :

HP Proliant DL380 G5
    RAM : 4GB
    HDD Config : 72GB 1500 rpm x 2 (RAID 0) for Systems
    72GB 1500 rpm x 4 (RAID 0+1) for Data
    72GB 1500 rpm x 2 (Not RAID) for log and back-up
    Database : Ms SQL Server 2008
    Navision ver : Dynamic Navision 5 ID sp. 1
    Database Size : 60GB

Is this problem also related to the infrastructure config that I have ?

Thx,
    Teguhbc
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    How much sessions? 4GB is not much if you have more than 30 sessions...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Was the 3.01 also under sql or was it native?
    During the upgrade, did you / your partner optimize your code for sql?
    Did you optimize your SIFTs and how many SIFTs are there.
    Have you found the commands that runs long (the sql profiler could help you)?
    Did you optimize your indexstructure?
    Did you have maintenace plans (updatestats, rebuildindex, backups)?
    How many concurrent users are working? 4GB is really not much.
    Check also the source, as Daniel said: maybe during the upgrade process a code bug was "created".

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • getegete Member Posts: 76
    DenSter wrote:
    That message is not always because an actual other human being is locking the table. Most often it is caused by code that is modifying the same record in two different processes. This sounds like a code bug to me that is caused during the objet upgrade. I would take that problem to your NAV partner that helped you upgrade.

That means it is not navision problem.

why i m asking this my cient has two locations L1 , L 2 , for purchase orders we are using two diffeent number series based on the location wise.

the person who is receiving the materials against the L1 , when he try to post the receipt system throws the error "

Item Ledger Entry Table Locked by another user.

that means both person at the same time receving the material so system throws this error.

we are using SQL server .

Please let me know how to solve this problem .
    gete wrote:
    That means it is not navision problem.
    No you are not understanding what I said. The locking error is not always caused by a human being actually locking a table, but by code that is written a certain way. The code is written in NAV, so it is a NAV issue.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    When you post, it locks the ledger tables. If it takes a long time to post, you will have more locking problems.
    You need to look at your SQL Server system and monitor its performance.
    You don't mention if it is dedicated to SQL Server, how many users you are supporting.

Code can cause a problem, plus poorly defined keys.
    Adjusting cost while posting can slow down processing - this can be done later by changing your inventory setup options.
  • AngeloAngelo Member Posts: 180
    Hi,

Thank you very much for your response, regarding this problem I'am also having a problem with the posting speed which is taking soo long and sometime we had that error messages...

if I see on the server performance monitor the Average Disk Time % is high same as average Disk read % (it can go up to 800%) my server configurations as below :

HP Proliant DL380 G5
    RAM : 4GB
    HDD Config : 72GB 1500 rpm x 2 (RAID 0) for Systems
    72GB 1500 rpm x 4 (RAID 0+1) for Data
    72GB 1500 rpm x 2 (Not RAID) for log and back-up
    Database : Ms SQL Server 2008
    Navision ver : Dynamic Navision 5 ID sp. 1
    Database Size : 60GB

Is this problem also related to the infrastructure config that I have ?

Thx,
    Teguhbc

Teguh dts,
    Kine is correct...Add more memory, for e.g 8 - 12 GB or higher, dont forget to activate /PAE and /3GB in Boot.ini file. therefore, your operating Sytem can use memory more than 4GB. For your SQL, please set AWE enable under your SQL Server Setting and also set you min and max server memory. For your log and back-up, I suggest you to use RAID 1.
    Angelo wrote:
    dont forget to activate /PAE and /3GB in Boot.ini file. therefore, your operating Sytem can use memory more than 4GB. For your SQL, please set AWE enable under your SQL Server Setting
    Only for 32bit OS and SQL Server, not necessary (I believe even counter productive) for 64bit.