Application Server Service Name

HanneyHanney Member Posts: 41
Hi there,
I try install Nav Application Server,after that after finish installation i create a new application server..then i type localhost for Host name then when i click Ok they ask for Service name...what is service name?where i can get the service name... :?:

Thank you..

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Are you talking about the native database server or about NAS? Both products are installed as a Windows Service, and those need to have a name. When you open Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, you see a list of services. All of them have a name, so you know which one to use, and that's what that means.

Are you getting this message when installing something?
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Did you read the "w1w1atas.pdf"? It's in the DOC Folder on the product CD/DVD.
    There is all explained how to install and config the NAS (for example with using the mmc snapin)
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• HanneyHanney Member Posts: 41
    I already read the manual..when i try to start both service-Microsoft Dynamic NAV Application Server-CLASSIC AND Microsoft Dynamic NAV Application Server-SQL..
    i get error
    Error1:Incorrect Function
    #-o
    That tells us that you either did not read the manual, or you don't understand NAS. Search for NAS on this forum and you will find probably thousands of postings about this subject. Search for 'incorrect function' too, you'll be pleasantly surprised :)
  • HanneyHanney Member Posts: 41
    Yes i admit it, i not really understand NAS..a bit confius for newbie like me... :?
    maybe i can redo again to see whether i got the same error or not...
    Make sure you read that document before you install NAS.

In a nutshell, NAS is a regular NAV client without a user interface, that runs as a windows service. As such it needs to be set up with a Windows user that has proper access to the NAV database. Read about how to set up the NAS MMC snap-in, because you'll need that to set the startup parameters for the service.

Now when the service starts, it runs the NAV client and sends the Parameter value into a function called "NASHandler", which is in codeunit 1. In this function, the system knows by the value of the parameter what to do. So if you follow the code for NEP, you can figure out how NAS makes the system interact with Sharepoint, or with the code CG you can figure out how Commerce Gateway works.

w1w1ATAS.pdf is general information about NAS, and then if you need to install NAS as part of Employee Portal, you will need to also read the EP document to see how you need to set that up. For custom functionality you're going to have to be on your own for now, and ask specific questions when you get there. There are MANY articles about NAS on this forum though, so there is plenty of information for you.

Good luck :mrgreen:
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    as i said, read the manual before. Its' not to complex.
    If you install the NAS per Installer, the installer creates two NAS. One for the native Serverenging and one for the SQL Server enginge. If you have SQL you need only the NASSQL and if you have the native database enginge you need only the NAS.
    Also read in the manual how to install / uninstall the NAS with the commandcom (cmd)

Regards and i'm sure you get it :mrgreen:
    Do you make it right, it works too!