Error with fbk-restore into SQL Database

KowaKowa Member Posts: 923
I'm stuck with the following situation :
2 Databases, Database A with Add-on X, Database B with Add-on Y. A company from DB A is to be transferred to DB B (3 companies so far), to become the 4. company there. : DB B has 84 tables with the property "DataPerCompany=No" :roll:

The fields from Add-on X in A have all been cleared, otherwiese the restore aborts immediately. All tables in DB A, which have "DataPerCompany=No" in DB B, have had their entries deleted.

I've created an .fbk backup for DB A without checking "Data common to all companies" und without "Application Objects".

If I use a native DB, I can import the restore without problems.
If I restore into a SQL-Database (client 4.0 SP2), an errors out with a message that data common to all companies exist in the database.

Any suggestions on how to get the SQL Server to restore the fbk-file welcome.
Kai Kowalewski

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You can't restore one customized database into another one without first merging the objects. You will need to make it so that both databases have the same objects before you can combine their companies into one database.
  • KowaKowa Member Posts: 923
    DenSter wrote:
    You can't restore one customized database into another one without first merging the objects. You will need to make it so that both databases have the same objects before you can combine their companies into one database.
    I merged a lot during the last years :wink: , but I neither want to or can merge anything here ( the functions of add-on in DB A are not needed anymore, and I only have full access to the objects in Database B), I only need the data in the standard fields. There are some add-on fields in the new database B which need to be filled after the restore so that the functions of add-on B are supported, but to reach that stage I need a complete restore.

After some more testing, it rather appears to be a client issue. I tested it on my local machine with Version 5 native DB's, it works fine. If I try the same with Version 4 SP2 or SP3, the error message comes up.
    Kai Kowalewski
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Kowa wrote:
    DenSter wrote:
    I merged a lot during the last years :wink: , but I neither want to or can merge anything here ( the functions of add-on in DB A are not needed anymore, and I only have full access to the objects in Database B), I only need the data in the standard fields. There are some add-on fields in the new database B which need to be filled after the restore so that the functions of add-on B are supported, but to reach that stage I need a complete restore.

After some more testing, it rather appears to be a client issue. I tested it on my local machine with Version 5 native DB's, it works fine. If I try the same with Version 4 SP2 or SP3, the error message comes up.

Sorry I don;t have time to search for it right now, But Rashed found out then in the later versions of NAV you can now do this. Search mibuso for posts by ara3n (there will be a lot of them :mrgreen: ) and datapercompany
    David Singleton
  • KowaKowa Member Posts: 923
    Sorry I don;t have time to search for it right now, But Rashed found out then in the later versions of NAV you can now do this. Search mibuso for posts by ara3n (there will be a lot of them :mrgreen: ) and datapercompany
    Thanks for you reply, David, I've found a lot a posts :wink: but no topic that deals with this specific problem.

Apparently it does work with Version 5 SP1 if not only the entries but the common-to-all-companies tables are deleted as well (at least a member of msdynamics.de ( I posted the same problem there too) was successful in trying).

I managed to complete the restore (after table deletion) with a native 4 SP3, but the same .fbk backup still does not restore into the SQL 4 SP2 database. Same error as above.

I will make a .fbk backup from this native DB and try to restore all 4 companies into an empty SQL Database in one go. If that still doesn't work, I suppose only a technical upgrade can help ( I hope so... :| )
    Kai Kowalewski