Is it a good idea to modify NAV to do multi-company function

couberpucouberpu Member Posts: 317
Hi,

I am still trying to get ideas on multi-company functions. This is what I am facing:

We have 2 companies, A and B company. Each company has several locations with 2 of them carrying both companys' products. Due to some factor, bosses decided to run company A without WMS with limited e-ship and company B with WMS and full e-ship. I had the system modified to print pick tickes for company A. This kind of settings was working fine for years.
( We have NAV 3.60 with 3.70b runtime, SQL options with SQL2000 )

Due to the gas price and heavy demand of our local trucking delivery, bosses decided to open a new location, which would carry both companys' product;without WMS and without e-ship;pick-up business only. Again, I modified the code to make both company A & B can do what company A can do for selected locations. Now the new location was up and running and the system is running smooth again. ( Based on bosses requests only )

Now, bosses want to know if we can make this new location a new company by itsself with all the modifications. AND, let the order entry and inventory replenish process stay the same way. Which means: 1. Take order in company A & B and let the system create sales order based on locations into the proper company. 2. Have company A & B run replenishment program for this new company and created the proper entry in company A & B. 3. Adding processes to maintain ledger entries and many many more ...

I like to be able to do all these but I also knew there are issues and guide-lines that I should not cross. Can everyone share your expertises on this matter with me?

Thanks,
CouberPu

Answers

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Define company. Do they want to see P&L reports or Balance sheet?

If P&L, then you can just use Dimension.

As far as making modification to run Bus. Logic for a different company is a lot of work if you do it manually.

I would write rather a code that will go through all the objects and add
    Variable.ChangeCompan(GetSingleInstanceCU.GetCompanyName);

Before Variable.Find('-');
    Variable.get;
    Variable.findfirst;
    Variable.findlast;
    Variable.isempty;
    Variable.findset;

So export all objects as text. Run your processing to add it to code. Import the objects back.
    Create your Single Intance CU to return and set the Company name. And you should be set.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'General Chat' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• couberpucouberpu Member Posts: 317
    ara3n wrote:
    Define company. Do they want to see P&L reports or Balance sheet?

If P&L, then you can just use Dimension.

As far as making modification to run Bus. Logic for a different company is a lot of work if you do it manually.

I would write rather a code that will go through all the objects and add
    Variable.ChangeCompan(GetSingleInstanceCU.GetCompanyName);

Before Variable.Find('-');
    Variable.get;
    Variable.findfirst;
    Variable.findlast;
    Variable.isempty;
    Variable.findset;

So export all objects as text. Run your processing to add it to code. Import the objects back.
    Create your Single Intance CU to return and set the Company name. And you should be set.
    ara3n,
    Thank you for reply.
    Separate G/L. So it is a new identity.

I want to use CHANGECOMPANY functuion as much as possible to get more automated and I also like to enable company A, B & C order consolidation to save shipping charges.
    But, you made it sound so simple, I did not say easy. Is it really?

Thanks,
    CouberPu
    This is just a start. You will need to also for example go the forms and on open form add changecompany as well.
    And I'm sure there will be reports that need on predataitem
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

ara3n wrote:
    This is just a start. You will need to also for example go the forms and on open form add changecompany as well.
    And I'm sure there will be reports that need on predataitem

Yes, I got that. Thanks again. :mrgreen:

Is there any performance issue with CHANGECOMPAY and CLEAR between companies back and forth?

CouberPu
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I'm sorry Rashed but I think that is probably the worst advice you've ever given :shock: . You can't just go around and add a CHANGECOMPANY to every single record variable call, just by exporting all objects as text. Somebody is going to do this on a production database and completely screw up their database.
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    If automations between companies are required, the customer is better off getting a new system rather than continuing with Navision.
    Navision is just not designed for multi-companies automations, the "validate" will upset the system balance...
    Trust me, I've been down the track before, not worth it.
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    Yet, there is family to feed and mortgage to pay! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I still think that there is a way to get some sort of design to help automate sales order creation process. :lol::lol:

Daniel's suggestion was to use stage tables to help the process while I am still hoping a direct write to cross-company tables. Can anyone come up another way?

Thanks,
    CouberPu
    I saw a couple of post he had asked and his initial post figured it out that doing manually is mission impossible.
    I have not written a process that would do it on all object, It's something I always wanted to try out.
    And if a client must have this functionality and I had no choice but to do it. This is how I would implement this change. With 2009, I would try also using web services solution, but he is on 3.6 version.
    :oops:

Ahmed Rashed Amini

Actually, I be very happy if I can do just the following!

I kind of following Rashed's suggestion to only modified the order form, something we created in house for salesperson to take orders or making quotes, and it is now getting inventory information from different company based on which location.

I just need to make the same form be able to create initial order into different location based on locations and <This is where I lost myself> be able to make changes from here!! ](*,) ](*,)

Thanks,
    CouberPu