Platform update for Nav 5.0 SP1 (referenced in KB 956161)

mcurriemcurrie Member Posts: 39
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the platform update rollup for NAV 5.0 SP1 that was referenced in Microsoft KB 956161.

Thanks

Comments

• Jonathan2708Jonathan2708 Member Posts: 552
    Hi,

You have to request it from Microsoft by placing a support call e.g. through Partnersource.

Jonathan
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009 (formerly NAV 5.1/'6.0')' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Follow the LINK and click on "View and request hotfix downloads"
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • mcurriemcurrie Member Posts: 39
    Due to financial constraints we had to drop our maintenance for Nav this year. We own the solution developer module and do all of our own development so the only real value that we received from maintenance was the ability to upgrade versions. We had completed the most recent upgrade prior to maintenance lapseing but only went live within the last month. Now we need this platform update to be able to use some of the new functionality. We are essentially faced with paying $60k + penalty just to gain access to this platform update.

Does anyone know of another source for this piece of software?

Thanks,
    Matt ](*,)
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    call you nsc and they will get the software for you.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    I think there isn’t another way around to get this update.
    I agree that it’s quite expensive amount to pay every year but it’s the way to get all updates.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Maybe if you can get your NSC to verify that you don't need a license update, they will give you the files, but I don't think there is a legal way to get it. Canceling the maintenance plan essentially means "I am not going to update my executables anymore, and I am willingly taking the risk that I might miss important updates". Everyone agrees that it's a lot of money, and I personally don't necessarily agree with it (in my opinion when you purchase a product you should get updates to that version for free for as long as they keep releasing them), but it is what it is.
  • mcurriemcurrie Member Posts: 39
    We don't exactly have a great relationship with our nsc. We ran into issues on several occassions that they were unable to resolve and that forced us to go over them and deal directly with Microsoft in order to get a resolution. They were less then supportive when we decided to not renew maintenance this year which essentially ended our relationship with them. I suppose I could attempt this however it would be a last resort.

We are working the channels with Microsoft right now arguing that since we are running 5.0 sp1 and the platform update is essentially a fix for a failed piece of their software that we own already, regardless of our status we should have access to it. From past experience if we continue to be relentless I'm sure they will eventually provide us we the fix. I was just hoping to find an easier solution.
    The thing is though, that is exactly what the maintenance plan is supposed to cover, and by canceling it you are essentially saying "we do not want updates anymore". You're right though, being relentless helps, and the fact that your company probably runs large amounts of money's worth of MSFT software may even be a reason for them to give in.

Like I said, I agree with you that you should get updates for the version you are running for free, regardless of your maintenance plan status, but I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Your NSC should get your the hotfix and it will work with your license. Just give them a call.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • theo.stheo.s Member Posts: 24
    I requested the KB 956161 Hotfix, which claims to to be "Global". Once I had extracted it using the Password. I had the file NAV50-SP1-KB956161-CH.ZIP.

When I run the Setup (Platform Update for Microsoft Dynamics NAV CH 5.0 SP1 (KB956161).exe) on a PC installed with NAV5.00 SP1 (Build 26084), I get an error message "The Upgrade patch cannot be installed by Windows Installer Service, because... Verify that the Program to be updated exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

Is this patch really inteded for NAV 5.00 SP1 W1? I would have felt better seeing "W1" in place of "CH".. Or am I missing how to apply this Hotfix / Roll-up?

Thanks for any help on this one,
    Theo (Cape Town)
    I agree that looks fishy. The CH tag is for Switzerland. I would get with MSFT support and verify that this applies to W1 as well.
  • theo.stheo.s Member Posts: 24
    There is defenitely a seperate W1 package for NAV5 SP1 Platofmr roll-up KB 956161 - got it through MS Support (and the local NAV PTS.

And Yes, it does cure the Send To Excel (or Word, etc.) problem once you re-synch the Permssions with SQL Server.

Thanks for help