Options

Default RecordSet 50?

2»

Answers

• Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Belias wrote:
    Yes, this is what i meant...MAYBE we'll have to modify a lot of findsets in the standard code, and this will be painful during an upgrade...as you said, it would be an optional parameter, but if you begin to use it, you have to merge it with all future versions; moreover, for an add-on solution, you'll probably have to refine the parameter everytime depending on the specific customer.
    it's a difficult choice :-k
    Some hints from MicroSoft guys?

I'm not sure if I agree that it'll be a pain to upgrade... You're only upgrading your own custom code.

The add-on solutions wouldn't define the number of recordsets if they intend their add-ons for popular use.
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    Maybe i'm too lazy, also for a programmer, :mrgreen: but i think that if the parameter will be wide used under standard objects (i mean, for example -and for hypotesis-, modifyng all findsets of codeunit 90), it will be a pain to change single lines of code..
    about the add-on you're right: modifications for single customers only, shouldn't be in an add-on.
    and what about different companies?the source code will ever be the same (unless you condition your FINDSETs to COMPANYNAME in some way, but this is weird to develop)
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    If you are looping through all the records, why would you only return a given set X Records and then after that given set create cursor.

After all you are going to loop through all the recordset, why switch to a cursor?

On Service tier you'll be consuming more memory, but memory is cheap and get a 64 bit version of service tier. And I know that will take another 4 years.

So based on Jesper Falkebo post it purely a memory issue.

With having 4 gig on each workstation, how much heap memory are we talking about.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    You guys really do need to get an understanding on what hard coded means.

If there is a field that you can enter a value, that is NOT hard coded. If you have to open up the developer and modify C/AL somewhere then it IS hard coded.

Its a very simple concept. :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    If there is a field that you can enter a value, that is NOT hard coded. If you have to open up the developer and modify C/AL somewhere then it IS hard coded.
    ... and when system calculates some value using other some other values (like number of records in given table for example) ?
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    generic wrote:
    If you are looping through all the records, why would you only return a given set X Records and then after that given set create cursor.

After all you are going to loop through all the recordset, why switch to a cursor?
    I never understood that either. It is really the root of the issue here. If the looping would simply act consistently, we wouldn't have to have this whole discussion.
  • Options
    genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    DenSter wrote:
    generic wrote:

I never understood that either. It is really the root of the issue here. If the looping would simply act consistently, we wouldn't have to have this whole discussion.

I guess we would never know. :(