Setup Dynamics 5.0 server without Active Directory?

BlackMagicBlackMagic Member Posts: 38
Hi im trying to install and setup Dynamics Nav 5.0 native server on Windows Home Server (WHS). WHS dont have Active Directory (AD) so it is not possible for me using the described step in the manual to publish the server as a service.

However it is also not possible for me to installing the AD, because then it would break the standard Webbased Console Interface which come with the WHS.

So my question is, it is possible to setup/publish the server without AD and how?

Its my first time installation of a Navision server. Hope some can give me a step-by-step guide.

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    NAV does not require AD. It is an option. Just install. Users will access using the server's DNS name or IP address.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • BlackMagicBlackMagic Member Posts: 38
    Hmm okie, but i have install the server application and client application on my the server. But where should I put the database im creating so that the client hit it, when typing the ip when trying connecting the database?
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    u must link the server with the database (read also the manual w1w1ism.pdf).
    The AD is only needed for an easier Windows user authentification.
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    Thank for the reply. But i have try looking into the manual and i cannot find the part describing the link..

Im only find the describing about the publishing through AD (in the w1w1ism.pdf):

In order for other server and client computers to be able to identify and connect with
    your C/SIDE Database Server, you must publish it in the network. Before you can
    publish a C/SIDE Database Server in the network, you must add a definition of a
    Dynamics NAV service connection point to the Active Directory. C/SIDE Database
    Server uses this service connection point to publish itself in the network and the clients
    use this information to locate the server and to find out how to connect to it. Only
    servers that have been installed as a service can be published in the network.
    To add a definition of a C/SIDE Database Server to the Active Directory, you must add a
    Schema Extension to Active Directory. This must only be done once for each forest of
    domains and domain trees, regardless of how many C/SIDE Database Server are in that
    forest.
    When you install C/SIDE Database Server, a file called schemaXt.exe is copied into the
    folder that contains C/SIDE Database Server. Run this file to add a definition of a
    Dynamics NAV service connection point to the Active Directory. Starting up a C/SIDE
    Database Server (running as a service) will publish a service connection point using the
    definition that has been added to Active Directory.

Which manual should i look into?
    edited 2008-12-21
    Read Chapter 2

U need the schemaXt.exe only if your work with AD
    Those steps are only needed if you are running AD and want to publish then NAV server to AD. You are not required to do this even if you are using AD. I never to this. I have also installed many NAV system into non-MS networks.
    Hi guys.

Im just finishing the chapter 2 with setup the MMC. But there is not step telling me how to link the service to a database? How do i do this, or where in the manual can i find the description of this? I can seriously not find it :(.
    When you install the service it ask where the DB is. Just browse to it.
    Hmm... i think there is something im not understanding here. My installation steps was:

1) Install Database server (the service)
    2) Install the NAS service
    3) Install the C/SIDE client

4) Setup the MMC

What should i do now for link my database to the service?
    BlackMagic wrote:
    Hmm... i think there is something im not understanding here. My installation steps was:

1) Install Database server (the service)
    2) Install the NAS service
    3) Install the C/SIDE client

4) Setup the MMC

What should i do now for link my database to the service?

1) Install C/Side client on server
    2) Create Database (File - Database - New)

3) Install NAV database service and point to DB created in step 2

4) NAS is an optional component. Only need to install if you intend to use it.
    Hi i have uninstall the Navision server in order to reinstall it, but it doesnt ask for the directory of the database. Now i have go into the MMC under the database-field adding the location of the database.

After doing so, i start the C/Side client try to browse avaible server, but i dont seen any. I can only see the [Client only].
    The server will not show in the list. Just type it in.
    I have just uninstall the Navision server and install it again, now it ask for Database location :). So i think i got it point correct now..

But i have starting C/Side client and manually and type "HPSERVER" (this is my servername) and the press OK, but i encounter a TCPS error, what can be wrong? I have also tried typing the IP of the server, and also trying with "localhost", but neither works.
    Change the NET TYPE to TCP on the client (Options Tab)
    Change to TCP
    These HowTo could also help you, if you wish a second native serverinstance (for example to test)

http://www.mibuso.com/howtoinfo.asp?FileID=10
    Great!! Its working. Thank you very much :)).
    No problem, and welcome