Coding Rules for variables of type record

viriatoviriato Member Posts: 105
I´m interested in knowing what are good practices when we have many variable in some object we have declared different variable pointing to the same record(table).

Do you use some variable to move around the record(table) and another variable to insert into the record(table).

I would like to pelase hear some suggestions.

Thank you.

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    You will find that as many developers there are, you will get as many different answers. All I can say is "use your best judgment", and look at how code is written in standard codeunits like codeunit 12 or 80 or 90, those have plenty of examples where there are multiple rec variables based on the same table.

You'll see a lot of things like SalesLine1 and SalesLine2 in standard code, which I don't like at all. Personally I try to use names that mean something. So if you have a Sales Line variable to calculate taxes, I'd create one called "SalesLineForTax". If I need a set of temporary records, I use "TempSalesLine".

The common thread is that the main one, the one that you use to create records is the global variable that is simply named using the table name, so in the case of a Sales Line variable would be "SalesLine".
  • viriatoviriato Member Posts: 105
    Thanks for your comment Daniel. Regards.