Item Tracking Project / Lot Warehouse Tracking

JouhaynaZeidanJouhaynaZeidan Member Posts: 22
I have a very important specific question .. I need an answer from somebody who has experience in warehouse + item tracking functionality + manufacturing

we are working now on items without using item tracking functionality plus using the warehouse management system from pick to putaway to all other fuctionalities related to WMS .

Now our company has been decided to use item tracking project .

Can i use item tracking fuctionality without clicking on Lot Warehouse Tracking in Item tracking code form 6502... even we are using WMS functionality.

we will have split in item ledger entries due to lot nos. .... but i will have Bin not related to any Lot nos or we cannot do any lot filter on bin contents.... Is this acceptable ?.

You know we cannot click on Lot Warehouse Tracking in form 6502 because the item has already previous ledgers . and the aim of using item tracking now is only to track to the level of warehouse and not to the level of bins .

i tried the procedure and it worked fine , and when doing production order and create whse pick, i am enetring only the item tracking line on production journal . sothat the pick will not be affected . Is this possibe ? Will i face any future problems ?

It's hard to explain .... but any more question don't hesitate to ask .
Experience will learn me a lot , as Experts like you

Answers

• JouhaynaZeidanJouhaynaZeidan Member Posts: 22
    Still No answer
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Probably because you are asking for someone with experience in WMS, Lot tracking and Manufacturing. I believe you are after less than 1% of the install base, but it could be 0.1%. You will most likely have to figure this out yourself through testing, trial, effort and a lot of hard work.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Can i use item tracking fuctionality without clicking on Lot Warehouse Tracking in Item tracking code form 6502... even we are using WMS functionality.

Yes you can, the lot numbers can be entered at the time of order entry. If you simply click on the NAV help, it explains:
    NAV Help wrote:
    A check mark in this field indicates that warehouse document lines require lot number.

Similar to item tracking numbers on transfer orders, there is only one check mark. This is because numbers assigned when inbound must remain unchanged when outbound.

If the field contains a check mark, assigned lot numbers will be carried to the associated warehouse entries as soon as the warehouse receipt line is posted. Hereafter, these particular lot numbers must be defined for every warehouse activity with the item (put-away, movement, pick).

If there is no checkmark, the lot numbers are not carried to warehouse entries, and lot numbers cannot be assigned to any warehouse activity lines handling the item.

If lot numbers exist for a source document, for example, a purchase order, and this field is not checkmarked, then the item ledger entries will still be split by lot number. However, the associated warehouse entries will not be split as they do not contain lot numbers.

we will have split in item ledger entries due to lot nos. .... but i will have Bin not related to any Lot nos or we cannot do any lot filter on bin contents.... Is this acceptable ?.

Bins do not have to have lot number associated.
    thank you all ,

Alex , i appreciated your help , yes i have read navision help abou this field ..it 's very clear thank you ..

Alex , yes i know there is no field lot no . in bin content form 7379 but there is Lotno. filter on this form 7379...

if as you are saying " Bins do not have to have lot number associated" then I will not face any probelm .

But if ?? Correct me ia m wrong ? :does Lot no. filter on form 7379 means that Bins has assigned lots no.internally . so i will have differences between item ledger entries and warehouse entries ? and as iam seeing it's not a big problem due only to lot no if we have differences ?? but also i need to hear and consult experts like you .. is it acceptable to work for lot no.s only for the level of item ledger entry and not reaching the level of bins ... even we are using WMS immplementation .

Alex you seems that your understand my case even it's little bit complicated ; Could you please try your best to give me a good invetigation about this case .

i am repeating correct me if i am wrong in anything mentioned above .

thank you again Alex
    If you do not enable lot tracking on the warehouse level, the warehouse entry will not have lot numbers, however, the item ledger will.

No, you will not encounter any problems doing so.

Remember though that NAV forces the Item ledger to match the warehouse entry, so if there are differences, you will need to adjust the item ledger and the lot numbers.
  • ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    Alex Chow wrote:
    If you do not enable lot tracking on the warehouse level, the warehouse entry will not have lot numbers, however, the item ledger will.

No, you will not encounter any problems doing so.

Remember though that NAV forces the Item ledger to match the warehouse entry, so if there are differences, you will need to adjust the item ledger and the lot numbers.

I have Nav 4.0 sp3. If I don't click Lot warehouse tracking, I face error when selling items.
    to reproduce error,
    1. create an item with item tracking code which includes lot warehouse tracking, lot specific tracking.
    2. create a location with bin mandatory, require pick, require put-away.
    3. create a bin for that location.
    4. purchase item into that location and bin with alot number.
    5. create sales order, select item, location and bin. then select lot number which exists in the inventory.
    6. in sales order window,Click functions->create Inventory put-away / Pick
    7. open Inventory Pick windows. Fill Qty to Handle field as expected.
    8. enter shipment no. etc.
    9. Post with "ship & Invoice" selection.
    nav says that "Lot Number is required for Item XXX". when you open Item tracking window from sales order window after clicking OK,you will see that Nav have set "Qty. To handle" field to 0.

but if I post sales order from sales order window without creating inv. pick, there exists no error.

solution i found was to select Lot warehouse tracking. no problem after that.

i wonder that i am the only person who faces this problem.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Double-check your lot assignment setup. As Alex says, this confgiuration does work. It's handy where picking is not dependent on lot numbers. The picker just needs to know to get 10. The lot numbers are recorded on either the sales order or the warehouse shipment depending on the WMS setup.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Alex ... Thank you Alex , your answer is very clear and perfect ; you make me feel better due to my setting up and choice .

Alex....You convince me too much , when you told me remember that NAV forces item ledger the match the warehouse entry ..... i forgot about that issue ... you are very right in this proof .

for ayhan06 .... if i could help you and tell you that you have to follow what bbrown told you... because i am also working on locations with bin mandatory - require pick require putaway and i didn't face the problem that you are facing ... here are some hints for you due to my experience in this project where it's still under testing ...

my setup Locations with bin mandatory - require pick require putaway
    items -tracking code - without clicking on Lot specific Tracking -without clicking on Lot Transfer Tracking and clicking all the rest options .
    when you purchase from location require recive and ship ..... only assign the lot no on the line of purchase line --then i created ship-picks --creted recieve putaways withouit assign bins ....
    then completed for transfer s and production .... only you have to take care to assign the item tracking line on production journal and not on line components ...... and contiung with sales normally .

if you need more details or if you are still facing problems ; send for me your email , so that i can send my own stepbystep scenarios about this project where are prepared by me personaly .... Helping you will make me learn more and more about this project ....

Thanks again for Alex to help me in this project .
    Great! Glad it worked out for you. Please mark the topic as solved. :D