Connecting to a Nav (4.0) database using the C/Side client

jwrightjwright Member Posts: 6
Let me preface this post with the fact that I'm a Navision noob, and this is my first time installing and trying to use the product as we have a business requirement for a Navision 4 server. I have installed Nav 4.0 SP1 one a Windows 2003 server and I can connect with the C/Side client fine on the server. However where I am having difficultly is in setting up a client (on xp) to connect to the server. I've been searching on the forums and googling around and have not found an answer. Am I just missing something obvious here? If you guys could point me the the right direction I would very much appreciate it.

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    open up the client file->database->open

Are you entering the Database name or IP address?

In the advanced tab are you selecting tcp?

then file->Company->open
  • jwrightjwright Member Posts: 6
    Well I have gotten as far as setting the 'Net Type' setting to TCP. I have verified that the client can ping the navision 4 server by name so I have specified the servername 'Nav4'. I am unsure as to what I should put for the database name. I should also mention that I did not install a copy of the demo database on the xp client machine (but the demo database is installed on the server). So would I need to create a share on the nav server and enter the unc path to access the database (fdb)?
  • ToutatisToutatis Member Posts: 6
    jwright wrote:
    Well I have gotten as far as setting the 'Net Type' setting to TCP. I have verified that the client can ping the navision 4 server by name so I have specified the servername 'Nav4'. I am unsure as to what I should put for the database name. I should also mention that I did not install a copy of the demo database on the xp client machine (but the demo database is installed on the server). So would I need to create a share on the nav server and enter the unc path to access the database (fdb)?

Hi,

no.. you need to check that the Nav is running as a service. Open up the control panel on the server and then go to admin tools -> services

If you don't see the service running there, you need to check that you installed Nav as a server correctly.

It is possible to connect to the database using a UNC path, however if you do this only one user at a time will be able to access the DB.

:)
    I have a Microsoft Software Solutions-Navision Database Server NAV4 service which is running as the Network Service system account. So there must be something else I've done completely wrong... #-o
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    there's a whole setup guide PDF on the cd. did you read & follow it?

It will look something like this
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 1w1ism.pdf
    Yeah, I have been following that. Somehow I missed the section on running the schema tool, so I did that but I'm getting this error (note I have not yet searched on this in the forums yet):

The following information is part of the event: The system failed to update Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision Database Server Service Connection Point in Active Directory.
    The registry entry does not exist.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Enter the IP address instead of the name, that shold always work. If you want to use the name, you have to enter the IP address and the name in your hosts and services files on the server as well as on your client machine.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    i belive there is also a HowTo in this forum for this
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    Ok guys, here's what i've done. Based on the asumption that I screwed something up I started from scratch which I think was ultimately the best thing as I realized I had installed Nav 4.0 SP1. I downloaded Nav 4.0 SP3, printed out the 'Installation & System Management: Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision Database Server' user guide and installed as follows:
      Installed the NAV Client (help and demo db)
    [list=2]Installed the NAV Database Server accepting the default values, installed the demo license and selected the demo database[/list]
    [list=3]Ran schemaxt.exe to install the NAV schema into active directory[/list]
    [list=4]Tested NAV installation was successful by connecting using the client installed on the database server[/list]
    [list=5]Installed NAV client on an XP workstation (help only, no demo db)[/list]
    [list=6]Created a shortcut to fin.exe spectifying servername=nav4, nettype=tcp, database=database[/list]

Now when I try to connect to the database server I get a popup warning dialog box that states the following:
    you cannot open another database or create a new database because the database was opened on the server, using the program property database=<database name>. To choose another database, you must start the server again with the same program property (specifying a different database name).

Any thoughts as to what I've done wrong this time?
  • ToutatisToutatis Member Posts: 6
    jwright wrote:
    Ok guys, here's what i've done. Based on the asumption that I screwed something up I started from scratch which I think was ultimately the best thing as I realized I had installed Nav 4.0 SP1. I downloaded Nav 4.0 SP3, printed out the 'Installation & System Management: Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision Database Server' user guide and installed as follows:
      Installed the NAV Client (help and demo db)
    [list=2]Installed the NAV Database Server accepting the default values, installed the demo license and selected the demo database[/list]
    [list=3]Ran schemaxt.exe to install the NAV schema into active directory[/list]
    [list=4]Tested NAV installation was successful by connecting using the client installed on the database server[/list]
    [list=5]Installed NAV client on an XP workstation (help only, no demo db)[/list]
    [list=6]Created a shortcut to fin.exe spectifying servername=nav4, nettype=tcp, database=database[/list]

Now when I try to connect to the database server I get a popup warning dialog box that states the following:
    you cannot open another database or create a new database because the database was opened on the server, using the program property database=<database name>. To choose another database, you must start the server again with the same program property (specifying a different database name).

Any thoughts as to what I've done wrong this time?

try removing the clever bits in the sortcut.. (links to database, server etc)
    run the client and manually point it at your server, database, company etc and see what happens