NAV Client for SQL Server is not responding

spaceyspacey Member Posts: 7
Hi

All users get the following message when they sign on in the morning.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Client for SQL Server is not responding

After a short while (10 mins or so) they can get in as normal. I have checked with Technical who report that the SQL server is not doing anything at that time (no backups/ maintenance jobs etc). I am also getting them to check on other network activity that may be affecting this.

Other info
MS Dynamics V5.0 on SQL Server 2005 Windows Authorisation Advanced Tab Net Type = Default

Any ideas?

Regards

spacey

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Is there some customized code after the login?
    Do you have checked with SQL Profiler what for commands are fired?
    Is this problem also, when you reboot the local PC and then logon new on database?
    Do you have checked the Network (DNS)?
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • spaceyspacey Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the prompt reply

I have my Tech Manager working on the questions you ask. In the meantime I found some info on Microsft Site which may help someone else.

I have looked up Microsoft knowledge base. There is an issue attached to XP machines if the if version 2.81.1117.0 of Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) is used together with SQL Server.

To check this, view the file version of the following file:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32sqlsrv32.dll
    If the System32sqlsrv32.dll file is version 2.81.1117.0, then we would need to install the hotfix (which is basically a new set of dlls)

Haven't discovered if this helps ME yet, but may help someone. Will update when I have results.
  • spaceyspacey Member Posts: 7
    Hi

This is solved. The NAV Log file was 81Gb in size. The problem in the morning was the file resizing itself which took out the NAV Server. I fixed the size of the NAV db, reduced to 104Mb, and the morning problem has now gone.

Thanks for your help
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    That will not solve the issue, and you will get the same problem again later on. What you should really do is backup the transaction log, which will clear the space in the TL file. Do you have a backup plan implemented with full and TL backups? If you only do full backups then you might want to consider changing the recovery model to Simple. Talk to your NAV partner about this, make the right choice for you, and have them implement this strategy on SQL Server.