Entries with zero amount

bteredesaibteredesai Member Posts: 129
edited 2009-10-15 in Navision Financials
Hello,

Can we post general journal with the 0 amount?

Thanks!
Bhushan

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Why? What would the point be?
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Not out of the box, no.

Like Steven asked before me, why would you do such a thing? There are comments in NAV and description that allows you to post comments and make notations.
  • drsreddy9drsreddy9 Member Posts: 1
    NO. You can not post the General Journal with zero amount. It throws warning message "Amount must be specified"
  • rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    There is a boolean field on the Gen. Journal Line called "Allow Zero-Amount Posting", bring it onto the form and set the value to true and Navision will bypass the Zero value check.
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    There is a boolean field on the Gen. Journal Line called "Allow Zero-Amount Posting", bring it onto the form and set the value to true and Navision will bypass the Zero value check.

First of all that field is not editable and is used internally, and if i am right it (correct me if wrong) comes in play when u select "inventory value zero" on item card so that it can post entries to ILE and value entry with 0 cost.
    But for any business scenario for no reason u will make that filed editable and post entries to inflate your G/L entry table for fun with zero figures.
    Kapil Khanna
    You are right, you have to make it editable too.

But mostly you are wrong. The only use of this field is to disable that error message; it is a safe change to make for a client. The only place it's used in the standard V3..V6 code is for records generated from the Check and BACS routines and it's used to make sure that the G/L Entry exists even if it's zero.

The reason for the error message to exist is to prevent standard code and normal extensions from "inflating the G/L" but the flag is present so that if the specifications require the existence of an entry for data integrity or policy reasons it can be easily overridden.

So if an end user requires to enter zero value records, just add the flag. Otherwise, just add an 'IF amount <> 0 THEN' before the GLPost call.

You can make the InitDefault=Yes, it's safe, though not really recommended because it removes the non-zero requirement from future code changes. If the user has problems setting the flag manually it's probably better to set it in the OnNewRecord trigger.
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    rdebath wrote:
    The only use of this field is to disable that error message; it is a safe change to make for a client.

Reply to a too old Issue ,but just to confirm where it is used for this "disable" :

Post an Purch. Invoice with 100% discount u will get Zero as amount in Vendor Ledgers as well as in G/L for payable with 0. To suppress the message it is used but when and how (means where system checks is still not known to me at least).
    Kapil Khanna
    rdebath wrote:
    The only use of this field is to disable that error message; it is a safe change to make for a client.

Reply to a too old Issue ,but just to confirm where it is used for this "disable" :

Post an Purch. Invoice with 100% discount u will get Zero as amount in Vendor Ledgers as well as in G/L for payable with 0. To suppress the message it is used but when and how (means where system checks is still not known to me at least).

Err, Huh? :?

I'll try to guess ...

The flag has to be set on a G/L journal so it's not (directly) right for zero value invoices.
    The check is done in the G/L posting codeunit (No.12) and is applicable for anything posted through a G/L journal, that includes direct and cash postings to the sales and purchase ledgers.