How to create Language Pack (module, *.flm) for NAV?

DRBDRB Member Posts: 105
Dear All,

Can anyone suggest me the procedure to create a language pack/ module for Navision?

I want to create a language pack (*.flm) file for some language (lets say arabic), then how to proceed for this?

Best Regards,
-Dhan Raj Bansal
Linkedin Profile: http://in.linkedin.com/in/dhanrajbansal

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Open object designer, select the objects you want to export, Tools - Language Module - Export... :wink:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DRBDRB Member Posts: 105
    Kine,
    I am asking about creation of language module.
    What you have suggested is for translation to a particular language, when you already have the language pack/module.
    For example, we don't have language module for arabic language and I want to translate my DB to arabic language, in that case I will need tools (language module) for that. So the question is how to create this language module (atleast a .flm file)?
    -Dhan Raj Bansal
    What I described is "creating .flm module". What you are asking is "how to translate the captions". FLM is file with captions for selected language in binary format. If you want to translate something, you need translation file. It can be created nearly in same way - Object designer, select objects, Tool - Translate - Export/Import. You will get text file with all strings you need to translate. BUT! You need to know what to translate and what not to translate (e.g. variable names, codeunit names, names in generally - you need to translate only strings with -Axxxx- in the constant - the xxxx is number of language, from which you are translating. If you translate the text, and you change the XXXX to the number of the new language and you import it back (the import will change all Modified and Date and times fields on the objects!), you will have new language captions in the DB. Do not modify the DB between the export and import is done. You can use tool for translating the translation file. It was named Navision Localization Workbench (NLW) but I do not know if there is some current version somewhere.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DRBDRB Member Posts: 105
    Thanks a lot Kine :)
    -Dhan Raj Bansal
  • langlang Member Posts: 27
    Hi,

i created an *.flm file for our solution by exporting over Object Designer / Language Module / Export. Now i like to translate the captions to any other language. How can I edit the *.flm file?

Thanks for your help!
    You cannot. FLM is binary format. If you want to create translation, use the Export translation instead...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • scottscott Member Posts: 76
    Can someone send me instructions on how to create a new language module for classical client? Microsoft website has instructions on how to modify dlls for RTC, NAV server, but I don't see anything for classic client, i.e. how to create/modify flm, stx, etx, etc...

If I use Tools/Translate, Import/Export, at most I get is text file. How do I convert this to .flm file?

Is Dynamics NAV Localization Workbench still available? I don't see it in partner website.

I try to create language module for both simplified and tradtional Chinese. Anyone has any insight?

Thanks.

Scott
    The main thing is: flm is binary file (like fob) and txt is txt (like txt... ;-)). You need to take the txt transation file, translate it, change the language number in the code (-AXXXX- means language XXXX where XXXX is the number of language as you can see it in Windows Language table). Of course, do not translate all, some texts are not good to translate or you do not need them. Another question is, how to know what to translate... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • scottscott Member Posts: 76
    Hi Kine,

I understand now how to create translation and flm file etc..

Another question, where can I get "plain text" stx, etx files, so we can translate those files too? I understand we have to ask Microsoft to "seal" the file.

Now after we do all this work, will Microsoft still charge $2400 for each lanuage module? Anybody has any experience?
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    .stx is translated only by Microsoft. Surely whatever customizations or add-ons you developed don't affect the .stx file. So I suppose you want to translate the standard to a language MS haven't translated it? And you are sure they didn't? That's a very uncommon thing and I would suggest to contact MS with it.
  • BobdoyleBobdoyle Member Posts: 7
    Hi scott,

I have the same question a you.
    We found how to translate the RTC but on partnersource there is no information on how to translate the classic client in NAV 2009.

Have you found the solution?