Dimension "same code" problem

amcamc Member Posts: 4
Hello everyone

I'm trying to solve a problem with dimensions, but the more I search the more lost I get! I am trying to post invoices where the accounts have all been set up with a linked dimension value which is different for each account (corporate account) and is set as "same code". Each time I try to post the invoice I have to retype in a value for the group account (customer posting group account).

Has anyone else seen this - can anyone help me solve it please

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Retype? You mean add? Is this dimension set on the customer card as default dim?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • amcamc Member Posts: 4
    Hi - I mean retype. The dimensions are already set in the chart of accounts for all accounts - each account is linked to a "corporate account" dimension, and has a specific dimension value with the "same code" value posting.

When I post the invoice, either the value from the sales header (if existing) is taken across (default functionality), or the dimension value of the specific G/L account entered on the sales line is the one used.

The problem comes with the accounts that are not added onto the sales line, but are posted by "posting group" setup - customer group etc.

I don't know if it can be done without a change in code, or if it is feasible at all.

Thanks for any help

Andy
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I see the problem in the setup of the dimensions. You cannot set it in this way and asume that it will work. Dimensions are inherited from the documents, not from the accounts on which the result is posted. You can use priorities to set from which source the dimension will be used if there are more sources with different value for same dimension, but it will never solve the dimensions on the g/l accounts from PG setup. Me personally will never advice to use G/L account no. as dimension (or corporate G/L account no.) and NEVER as "Same code". Dimensions are not there to map G/L accounts to some other nos. For that you can use Consolidation if I am not wrong...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • amcamc Member Posts: 4
    Thanks - I'll run it as that. I think then if I set the default dimension in the customer to the same as the collective account, I can respect the document dim hierachy.

thanks again