Options

Viewing Classic repot layout in RTC

havhav Member Posts: 299
edited 2009-08-11 in NAV Three Tier
Hi All,
I have customized "204 : Sales-Quote" repot in Classic client by adding a SalesLine.Picture field. The purpose is to display the item picture that corresponds to the sales line in the report.
To view this report in RTC, i deleted the report layout using Tools | Delete Layout in Classic client.
Now when i run this report in RTC it gives me error "The supplied server name is not valid".
Note that the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Business Web Service is running.

Let me know if anyone has any idea about this error.

Regards,
Hemant
Regards,
Hemant
MCTS (MB7-841 : NAV 2009 C/SIDE Solution Development)

Comments

• Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    I have seen this error before at there it was caused by the database being on a named instance in SQL Server.
    This doesn't work and you will have to move your database to the default instance on SQL server in order to make classic report execution from RTC work.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    freddy.dk wrote:
    I have seen this error before at there it was caused by the database being on a named instance in SQL Server.
    This doesn't work and you will have to move your database to the default instance on SQL server in order to make classic report execution from RTC work.
    I am using SQL Server 2005 Express edition.
    Did you mean to use default instance of Sql Server and not Sql Express?
    If so then i will have to move my database to a different machine indeed having Server installed.
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • Options
    Hi Freddy,
    I have now moved my database to SQL Server 2005 Enterprise edition.
    Now if i run Sales-Quote report from RTC on local SQL Server instance, it displays below error:
    "Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic Client version does not match the Role Tailored client version. You can only start Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic Client version matching the Role Tailored client versions.
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic Client : 5.0.26084
    Role Tailored client version : 6.0.27808.0"

I am not sure why there is a version mismatch since i am using the release version of NAV2009 downloaded from PartnerSource site.

Note that the report runs fine in Classic client.

Pls help resolve this error.

Regards,
    Hemant
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It seems that the "installed" version of NAV client is NAV 5.00 and not Classic client from NAV 2009. RTC is trying to run classic client with the report but the registry keys are leading to old NAV 5.00 files...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    I think this is a bug since the error displayed differs according to machine configuration.

The first error "The supplied server name is invalid" was displayed on a machine having only NAV2009 installed and no other previous versions.

The second error related to Classic client version mismatch was displayed on a machine having both NAV 5.0 W1 SP1 and NAV 2009. On this machine, when i run sales quote report from NAV2009 Classic client, it runs fine showing item picture also. I tried deleting rdlc layout so as to view Classic layout in RTC. When running the same report in RTC, it gives version mismatch error.
    Do you want me to uninstall NAV 5.0 W1 SP1 from this machine and check?
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • Options
    Yes, try to uninstall NAV 5.00 and repair NAV 2009 installation (to recreate all Registry entries which are needed...)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Thanks Kine.
    I uninstalled NAV 5.0 SP1 and repaired NAV2009. Now i am able to see the Classic client print report dialog and can print the report also. :)

However the main task of displaying the Item Picture for each sales line that is printed on the report is still giving problems in RTC.

The reason is i am using a Client side COM object to fetch the item picture generated by thrid party application. In order to create an instance of this COM object in RTC, i have copied COM dll + dependent dll in RTC folder and have also registered it. The instance works fine in RTC.

The problem occurs when i try to access Classic layout report from RTC since the OnAfterGetRecord() of Sales-Quote report is customized as below:-
        OK := CREATE(WM, TRUE, TRUE);
        WM.GetItemPicture(....);

RTC creates its own COM instance (WM) at startup. When Classic layout report is accessed from RTC, the OnAfterGetRecord() attempts to create its own COM instance (WM) which it requires in Classic Client folder.
    The situation is something like one WM instance in RTC tries to access another WM instance in CC. In order to create a WM instance in CC, i will need to keep all dll's in CC also and register COM from there too.

I don't think NAV2009 will allow creating same COM instance from two diff. locations. At a time only one instance can be accessed.

The problem seems complicated and i dont know what to do.

Pls resolve.
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • Options
    All that depends on the library itself. In common conditions you can create as many instances as you wish.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    When launching a classic report we just launch the classic client with some parameters. I have a hard time seing that this could give calls from one WM to another. Have you identified what exactly is the problem?
    Can you launch the report from the Classic Client?
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    I am migrating Sales-Quote report from NAV 5.0 tO NAV2009.
    I have integrated all code and design changes using NAV2009 CC.
    The design change includes adding a image control corresponding to SalesLine.Picture field.
    The code changes corresponds to populating the image with the graphics generated by third party application using COM automation.
    When i run the report in NAV2009 CC, it runs fine displaying the graphics image for each sales line.

Now i want to see this report from NAV2009 RTC.
    Having read the reference guide, i found that NAV2009 support two layouts viz. Classic report layout and RDLC layout.
    I intend to go for Classic report layout at the moment so that it can be viewed from both CC and RTC.

Let me know how should i proceed further to fullfill the above requirement.

Regards,
    Hemant
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • Options
    JoeKJoeK Member Posts: 53
    Hello,

is there any update on this issue? I´m struggling with that.
    freddy.dk wrote:
  • Options
    to hav
    Now i want to see this report from NAV2009 RTC.
    Having read the reference guide, i found that NAV2009 support two layouts viz. Classic report layout and RDLC layout.
    I intend to go for Classic report layout at the moment so that it can be viewed from both CC and RTC.

Let me know how should i proceed further to fullfill the above requirement
    So what is the problem? Do you get a new report in the RTC - then you just have to delete the layout (then it will select the classic) or do you need to insert the report somewhere and run it?

to JoeK
    What are you asking for? whether this issue has been fixed?
    It is not something we are releasing as a hotfix - so it is probably something you will have to wait for until a SP or next major release (no promises given).
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV

• Options
    pranav-joshipranav-joshi Member Posts: 46
    Hi Hemant,

You didn't need to do these much of things. It require just small change.

since now you have unintalled/installed/repair many things I don't know now on your machine now which things u have and dont have.

so please first unintall SQL server what ever you have, NAV 2009 and Visual studio if you have installed.

then intall first SQL Server then Visual Studio (VS 2008 is more prefelable) intall Visual Studio without intalling SQL server since we would be intalled it first then intall NAV 2009.

Go to control pannel->Administrative Tools->Services
    Select MS Dynamics NAV Server service go to its property in that on Log On tab select Log on as Local System Account. then start the service.

Now you have deleted the layout that you should not do because in RTC while you running report it will take Layout as base and from that it will run.
    if you have added controls like textbox and lables in report then to make it viewable in RTC you have to set its propery call Dataset, then go to tools->Create lay out it will open Visual Studio and open this report in sql reporting tool if you want to change any thing then change it (this time since you are on starting stage change dont change any thing) and save it even if you dont change any thing save it. then come back to classic client and compile it it will ask that the reprotlayout is changed do you want to save it click yes, compile the report. go to RTC and run it.

Note: if you have added any control in Request form then you need to add it on Request Page if you want that viewable in RTC, and if you have wrriten any code on Section's Triger then RTC will not execute it, it will execute code what ever you have written on the dataitem's trigger.

hope this helps you.

Pranav Joshi
    MS Dynamics NAV Consultant
    SBS Group Desert Mountain (Formerly Silverware Inc.)
  • Options
    gerdhuebnergerdhuebner Member Posts: 155
    The problem with the error "The supplied servername is not valid" when trying to run a classic report from the RTC is most likely due to a named SQL Server instance (like MYCOMPUTER\SQLEXPRESS) rather than a standard SQL Server instance (like MYCOMPUTER\MSSQLSERVER). With a standard instance I have not found such a problem anywhere. There is no matter, what version of SQL Server you are using (2005, 2008, Express version, Standard version, etc.), it is only due to the name of the instance.