Navision support more than 300 Concurrent User

budis78budis78 Member Posts: 7
Hello NAVers,

Have anyone have experience on implement NAV more than 300 Concurrent User ? if yes, i want to know about hardware sizing ? and any further detail about customizing and tuning on NAV ?

for information, i'm plan on using SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition x64 and Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition x64 or IA64 (if needed, we suggest it).

How can i find a such information like that ?

thanks before..
B-Positive
Just Achive what u Wanna-B

Comments

• nrapendranrapendra Member Posts: 208
    i don't have exact idea about 300 users,but i have run it on 180 concurrent users.
    problem u will face will not be software part,but it wil be from hardware part.
    you have to setup big server with high ram capacity.
    if both are ok then there will not be any problem.
    Nrapendra Singh
    (Sr. Tech. Consultant)
    Dataman Computer Systems (P) Ltd.
    web :www.datamannet.com
    mail :nrapendra@datamannet.com
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    You should contact sqlperform, they have plenty of experience with NAV for many users.
    And I have to disagree with nrapendra . Even with the best hardware, there still will be problems.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    All depends on what the users are doing, if all users are posting, it is bad, if all users are only running reports and only one is posting... no critical problem... But all is too complex to give you simple answer to your simple question...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    all users can post ;-)
    the question is: what they post. Use they dimensions, how many lines per documents, etc ....
    Other question is also: How looks the Hardware, what for a Server engine (native or sql). 32 or 64 bit, NAV Tuning, etc ....
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • budis78budis78 Member Posts: 7
    For All,

tx for the replies.. :?

here is the details Plan so far..

The Company want to make online their location (maybe about 58 location estimated,). So already Count that NAV User around 180 - 200 Users

Hardware Sizing (Plan & Estimated as described on White Paper about Hardware Guide For NAV 4.0):
    hp Proliant DL785 G5 (4xOpteron 8358SE, 64 GB RAM, 4x72 GB 15k SAS HDD)
    hp EVA 4400 SAN Starter Kit 146 GB 15k Factory Integrated (8x146GB 15k FC HDD)
    to split SQL tempdb (tempdb & templog) , NAV DB itself( mdf & ndf ), SQL Log & Alternative Backup for SQL
    with Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition x64 & SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition x64

Internal Storage Usage (RAID 1) with 2 Logical Drive (4x72GB) for OS & Alternative SQL Backup
    External Storage Usage (RAID 1+0) with 2 Logical Drive (8X146GB) for NAV DB, tempdb & SQL Log

another info that NAV table can be move separately to increase performance (Big & recently accessed Table like Item Ledger, Cust. Ledger & Ledger Entry). It said can be Split to another Location / Physical Drive. How to make it happen ?

I'm just want to make this implementation going smoothly and run well.

Need Advice from the Expert in this Forum..
    B-Positive
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    This is a clear technical answer, where the issue is more in other surfaces... I can predict this will be a though one...

p.s. we have sites with 700 up to 1.000 concurrent users on NAV, indeed you should approach SQL perform. If you will try to do this on your own, supported by a forum, be sure to have a legal advisor ready...
    At least i have somebody who has the experience before can share information about it, or maybe get the idea / clue to moving forward. :(

For a while i provide the solution with Hardware Sizing, and split SQL database path.

any idea about navision table partition ?

thanks before..
    B-Positive
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    I would really encourage you to approach sqlperform
    UK office: +44 2077165812
    Benelux office: +31 555330553
    info@sqlperform.com
    They are the experts at this.
    They can give you advice on every aspect of Navision.
    I am not telling you this because I want to advertise sqlperform, but to help you.
    The chances of the succes of this project will be very low without them.

Don't manually change the filegroups, sql server has the best logarythm for that.
    Use one filegroup with multiple luns on SAN instead.

Rewrite the posting mechanism so that table locking will happen at the last possible moment. (otherwise users will be locked out of the db constantly)

Make the best use out of FIND('-')/('+'),FINDFIRST/LAST/SET

Look into the options MS Sharepoint can give you in combination with NAV, (maybe you can exclude users with it (which makes NAV cheaper and more interesting for the Customer), ...

Monitor NAV in every aspect, test it, stresstest it, ... So you can find the bottlenecks

But really, you don't want to do this without an expert.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    budis78 wrote:
    For All,

tx for the replies.. :?

here is the details Plan so far..

The Company want to make online their location (maybe about 58 location estimated,). So already Count that NAV User around 180 - 200 Users

another info that NAV table can be move separately to increase performance (Big & recently accessed Table like Item Ledger, Cust. Ledger & Ledger Entry). It said can be Split to another Location / Physical Drive. How to make it happen ?

I'm just want to make this implementation going smoothly and run well.

Need Advice from the Expert in this Forum..

Hi budis,

have you heard the saying "It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic", because this is what you are doing.

At this point forget hardware, its not important ... YET ... yes it will be, but right now you have so many other important issues to resolve, leave the hardware till you know what you are implementing, for now concentrate on the Ice Berg.

The number of Users is also completely irrelevant. Important is that this is a large system and needs to be designed and thought out, not just implemented with the idea "hey we can throw hardware at it".

You need to look at transaction volume. SQL does not care how many users there are, it cares how much data has to be read and written. So start with how much data will be posted per day. Work out peak transaction times, work out which tables are going to be hot, work out which code needs to be tuned, work out how the users will interact with the system. Then when you have the system designed and worked out, you can start benchmarking to work out your hardware needs.
    David Singleton
    For All : Tx for the suggestion,

i just need more detail / Standard / Book Reference to measure this case.

Meanwhile i'll find it with perfmon to lookup Performance and test it. if there any idea to know where i find Standard Performance on ebook or guidance to do it at different way ?

Thanks Before..
    B-Positive
    aiaiai....

there is no standard benchmark for these type of cases!
    budis78 wrote:
    For All : Tx for the suggestion,

i just need more detail / Standard / Book Reference to measure this case.

Meanwhile i'll find it with perfmon to lookup Performance and test it. if there any idea to know where i find Standard Performance on ebook or guidance to do it at different way ?

Thanks Before..

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Its very clear you are not reading replies, simply hoping that someone will say "Yes here you are here is the solution and its all for free"

What point is there for us to reply to your questions if you do not read the answers. :-#
    David Singleton
    #-o i'm sorry, David. i'm already read and appriciate your reply and it's good to have, but i need more detail information...

Right now, i try to do it with it. and figure out "how to" another information that already given..

thanks for the replies..
    B-Positive
    Budis, the only way to bring this to an end is to get a partner in with experience in this kind of cases. You will not make it on your own. The only customers have end up leaving NAV, are these kind of customers. If you have never done this, you need help. A 300 user license seems nice to invoice now, but you will end up spending much more on crediting and escalation management....
  • johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
    Budis, the only way to bring this to an end is to get a partner in with experience in this kind of cases. You will not make it on your own. The only customers have end up leaving NAV, are these kind of customers. If you have never done this, you need help. A 300 user license seems nice to invoice now, but you will end up spending much more on crediting and escalation management....

Hi p.willemse6,

Would you like to give me information about the partner with experience in this kind of cases?

Thank you :D
    Best regards,

Johanna
    johanna wrote:

Hi p.willemse6,

Would you like to give me information about the partner with experience in this kind of cases?

Hi Johanna, are you working on the same project as Budis? I ask because its two years later, and you are both in the same country, where I guess there are not too many big systems like this.
    David Singleton
    johanna wrote:

Hi p.willemse6,

Hi Johanna, are you working on the same project as Budis? I ask because its two years later, and you are both in the same country, where I guess there are not too many big systems like this.

Hi David :D

No, I'm not working on the same project with Budis although we're in the same country..:D

My customer have a blocking and deadlock problem. Although have done maintenance database, like rebuild index and update statistic, the problem is still happen.

So, I guess I need a lot of index or code tuning for performance improvement and need a lot of test. But, I also guess I cannot do this things without an expert who experience in this things.. :(
    Best regards,

Johanna
    johanna wrote:

No, I'm not working on the same project with Budis although we're in the same country..:D

The reason I asked is that I do a lot of performance tuning work, so it's interesting to see two very large projects in the same region like this. :thumbsup:
    David Singleton
    johanna wrote:

So, I guess I need a lot of index or code tuning for performance improvement and need a lot of test. But, I also guess I cannot do this things without an expert who experience in this things.. :(

As Sog suggests, I would contact Hynek at SQL Perform (info(at)sqlperform.com) http://www.sqlperform.com/html/contact_us.aspx
    David Singleton
    Wow, so quick response from you, David ;)

You do a lot of performance tuning work.. =D>

Thank you for the link.. :D

Are you do a performance tuning with SQL Perform too?
    Best regards,

Johanna
    johanna wrote:

Are you do a performance tuning with SQL Perform too?

Yes :thumbsup:
    David Singleton
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    And just to add to the ads: 8)
    I have customers which run NAV on SQL with 350+ concurrent users; the required optimizations where implemented by me.
    As you were talking about blocking issues, maybe this could help you: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/archive/2008/11/03/blocks-amp-deadlocks-in-nav-with-sql-server.aspx
    Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
    Cheers,
    Jörg
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
    stryk wrote:
    And just to add to the ads: 8)
    I have customers which run NAV on SQL with 350+ concurrent users; the required optimizations where implemented by me.
    As you were talking about blocking issues, maybe this could help you: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/archive/2008/11/03/blocks-amp-deadlocks-in-nav-with-sql-server.aspx
    Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
    Cheers,
    Jörg

Hi stryk,

What a great blog! :thumbsup:
    I got many information of blocking issues from there. Thank you for the information. :D
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    Hi Johanna,

thanks for your kind words - I'm glad if I could help :D
    Just to mention it: last week I presented a similar session about "Blocks & Deadlocks" - here the link to the BLOG which contains some updated scripts: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/archive/2010/05/19/decisions-spring-2010-nav-sql-performance-blocks-and-deadlocks.aspx
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
    Hi, Everyone...

First, i want to say to anyone that support me in this forum. This forum really helpful for us, that are not NAV Expert. This issue already accomplished 2 years Ago. we do it with having support from local NAV partner that supporting our company.

We do many performance tuning on NAV Code to avoid Block & Deadlocking.. and of course, hardware supporting are needed from user counted to access the NAV DB..

Storage Hardware Technology can be considered to increased performance...
    B-Positive