Upgradation to Navision 2009 from Navision 5.0

vipinkuruvillavipinkuruvilla Member Posts: 143
Hai All,

I have seen many blogs about the new features available in Navision 2009. Presently we are working in Navision 5.0 and the project is going to get completed very soon. My client likes to know the effort required to upgrade the existing 5.0 application to Navision 2009.

Can anyone let me know the efforts required to upgrade to Navision 2009 ? Please consider the following scenarios :

1 ) Existing form in Navision 5.0 with some customization - consider Purchase order screen. I have added 2 extra fields in Purchase header and Purchase Line : -

In this case how I can upgrade the form to Navision 2009 and wht is the effort I should put into?

2) Fully Customized Form - Consider a form A . I have 4 fields in this form :-

In this case how can I upgrade to Navision 2009 and what is the effort I should put into?

3) Existing Reports with some customization - Consider Report 705 in Navision 5.0 . I have customized this report :-

In this case how can I upgrade to Navision 2009 and what is the effort I should put into?

4) Fully Customized Report - I have created a new report :-

Also I like to get some expert opinion about the following scenarios :

1) Start doing a form from scratch in Navision 2009

2) Start doing a report from scratch in Navision 2009.

Thanks in advance......

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    a) Upgrading from NAV 5.0 to NAV 2009 will be in general same like from NAV 4.0 to NAV 5.0 (tables, codeunits, reports, dataports)
    b) It depends on if you want to create pages through Transformation tool from the forms or manually from scratch
    c) with limits you can use classic report without transforming it
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • vipinkuruvillavipinkuruvilla Member Posts: 143
    kine wrote:
    a) Upgrading from NAV 5.0 to NAV 2009 will be in general same like from NAV 4.0 to NAV 5.0 (tables, codeunits, reports, dataports)
    b) It depends on if you want to create pages through Transformation tool from the forms or manually from scratch
    c) with limits you can use classic report without transforming it

Thanks a lot 4 ur reply......So if I want to upgrade any customized table, form, report, code unit , xml port I need not woory right...All I have to do as I did when I upgraded my application from Nav 4.0 to Nav 5.0...

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong......For converting a form to Pages (so that I can get this in RTC ) I have got transformation tool kit in dvd...........So there is no other toolkit available to upgrade my table,form , report, codeunit,xml port etc. from Nav 5.0 to Nav 2009

Hope my understandings are correct........
    Yes. The NAV 2009 is nothing more than next version with possibility of new client. It means, after common upgrade, you can "somehow" (transformation tool or manually) create/modify the pages to be able to run the RTC. And, in many cases you need to transform the reports, but it is manual process (only some reports can be run as classic clients from RTC).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    Yes. The NAV 2009 is nothing more than next version with possibility of new client. It means, after common upgrade, you can "somehow" (transformation tool or manually) create/modify the pages to be able to run the RTC. And, in many cases you need to transform the reports, but it is manual process (only some reports can be run as classic clients from RTC).

Hi Kine, so I need to do all reports (which i have done in Nav 5.0 ,ie customized reports) from scratch. And that I wont be able to upgrade the customized reports using some tools. Only some existing reports can be upgraded to Nav 2009 using a tool.

Thanks
    Yes, he customized and new reports must be done manually (or there is "Suggest layout" button in NAV, but you need to edit it and "finalize"). And when I am talking about possibility that not all reports must be redone, I mean the possibility to run Classic report from RTC. If the report have no Layout for RTC, and it is runned through button (not from codeunit etc.), RTC will open classic client window with the classic report for you ;-) and it means that you do not need to transform it...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    Yes, he customized and new reports must be done manually (or there is "Suggest layout" button in NAV, but you need to edit it and "finalize"). And when I am talking about possibility that not all reports must be redone, I mean the possibility to run Classic report from RTC. If the report have no Layout for RTC, and it is runned through button (not from codeunit etc.), RTC will open classic client window with the classic report for you ;-) and it means that you do not need to transform it...

O fine so all reports where RTC is able to open the classic client I need not redo other reports I will have to redo from scratch.......

So this may take a lot of time ....... How about database conversion? Should I have to do any changes in my database so that I can run the same in Nav 2009.......
    No, the background is still same. You can run Classic client on same database as the RTC. Only common upgrade things like new tables, fields etc... My be one new property on the Alter database form. To be able to use RTC, you need to run NAV on MS SQL.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    No, the background is still same. You can run Classic client on same database as the RTC. Only common upgrade things like new tables, fields etc... My be one new property on the Alter database form. To be able to use RTC, you need to run NAV on MS SQL.

Hmm...Quiet remarkable......Hey have you started working in Navision 2009...........

Do you have any technical white papers for Navision 2009...so that I can do more research on the same.

I will have to give my client a rough estimation of the work required...........
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ...I will have to give my client a rough estimation of the work required...........

From what you are saying here, I would say that you don't yet have enough experience with 2009 to do a new implementation, let alone an upgrade.

If the client is adamant that they want to work with the latest technology, then they need to understand the risks involved.

I think you have two options:

a/ You explain the issues to the client, and discuss a low risk upgrade approach, where they understand that this is a learning process, and that you work together on sharing the risk.
    b/ You take the attitude that "you need to learn this" and are willing basically to implement the customer in the new environment at no charge, and that out of it you get the experience to know how to do it next tie, and a reference client.

You are not going to get enough information from "pdfs", "white papers" and "The Internet" to create a fixed price quote. So best case is use it to learn. BUT make sure the client is aware that you are learning.
    David Singleton
    ...I will have to give my client a rough estimation of the work required...........

From what you are saying here, I would say that you don't yet have enough experience with 2009 to do a new implementation, let alone an upgrade.

If the client is adamant that they want to work with the latest technology, then they need to understand the risks involved.

I think you have two options:

a/ You explain the issues to the client, and discuss a low risk upgrade approach, where they understand that this is a learning process, and that you work together on sharing the risk.
    b/ You take the attitude that "you need to learn this" and are willing basically to implement the customer in the new environment at no charge, and that out of it you get the experience to know how to do it next tie, and a reference client.

You are not going to get enough information from "pdfs", "white papers" and "The Internet" to create a fixed price quote. So best case is use it to learn. BUT make sure the client is aware that you are learning.

Hey my plan here is to study this...But there is not much information about how to start with Navision 2009.....Yes I have seen many topics of What all are the features in Navision 2009
    By estimation I meant the time effort to study this and upgrade the existing application to this latest technology and not the cost.....
    Like to know where I will get a better help so that I can get it started......
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Here is link for the new upgrade toolkit being released for 2009.

http://blogs.msdn.com/uknav/archive/200 ... eased.aspx

The link is not working yet.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n