Serialized Item average cost revaluation extremely slow

davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
If an item is serialized with a large number of serial numbers (e.g. 1000), the item cost revaluation is extremely slow.
The problem appears to be therre is one value entry written for every item ledger entry, so if there have been 1000 serial numbers processed within the time period, it values each value entry by processing each item ledger entry - 1000 * 1000. It also has a few other places where it has the same type of logic.
This is in NAV 5 SP1.

I tried adjusting cost automatically and using the Adjust Cost - Item Entries with the same poor results.

Is average costing incompatible with the use of serial numbers?

The only solutions I see are:
Don't do inventory revaluations; OR
Rewrite the code to use lot numbers for average costing.

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Avarage costing does not really sound like a logical choice when using serial numbers. There is only 1 ILE in and out per transaction.

Specific costing is created for that isn't it? I am not a costing expert...
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am primarily in a development role these days and I was asked to look at the speed issue.

It looks like the way Navision implements costing, average costing is not compatible with serial numbers (without significant modification). It looks like the only method that will work is specific costing. Since accounting in this situation does not care about serial numbers, this is probably not what they want or expected.

Does anyone know of any way without mods to separate average costing from the value entries?