Options

Sinterklaas

DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
edited 2008-12-08 in General Chat
Sinterklaas, wie kent 'm niet. Sinterklaas Sinterklaas en natuurlijk Zwarte Piet
Sinterklaas, wie kent 'm niet. Sinterklaas Sinterklaas en natuurlijk Zwarte Piet

Speeeeeecuuuuuulaaaaaas.... Pepernoten! Pepernoten! Pepernoten! Pepernoten!
Maaaaarseeeeepijijijijiijijn.... Pepernoten! Pepernoten! Pepernoten! Pepernoten!

Soms mis ik Nederland een beetje :mrgreen:

<edit>see English translation below :wink: </edit>

Comments

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    I don't know what to do with this message.

The General Chat forum is only for messages in English. And in the Dutch speaking forum, one can post in Dutch but only about NAV.

If you can give it a NAV twist, I can move it to the Dutch only forum :whistle:
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    If you can give it a NAV twist, I can move it to the Dutch only forum :whistle:

How can I convert that message into english using C/AL :mrgreen:
  • Options
    garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    edited 2008-12-05
    :lol:
    Daniel -> today a kid ;-)

in germany a person like "Sinterklaas" will come tomorrow
    The Sinterklaas fest is on 5th december in the nederlands and on 8th dec. in belgia.

Here a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Options
    So, the translation for non dutch / german persons.
    Maybe a other person translate it better ;-)

-->
    Sinterklaas, who doesn't know this guy. Sinterklaas, Sinterklaas and, of course, the black peter

Speeeeeecuuuuuulaaaaaas.... Pepernoten! Pepernoten! Pepernoten! Pepernoten!
    -->
    "traditional spicy cookie" (Speculas, Pepernoten, doesn't know the english word for pepernoten)

Maaaaarseeeeepijijijijiijijn.... Pepernoten! Pepernoten! Pepernoten! Pepernoten!
    -->
    marzipan .... pepernoten (spicy cookie)
  • Options
    Today kids in Holland celebrate Sinterklaas. This always brings back memories from when I was a little kid, because I was born and raised in Holland. During this time of year I always miss Holland.

Garak is spot on for the translation. It is from a popular Dutch song that I used to like. Watch the video here :mrgreen:

Taai... taai.... TAAI TAAI TAAI TAAI PEPERNOTEN!! PEPERNOTEN!! PEPERNOTEN!! PEPERNOTEN!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    I don't get it :-k What's the point of the black face paint?

This guy is more like the jolly pope of the north or something :lol:
    http://www.freshmd.com/photos/uncategor ... rklaas.jpg
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    Savatage wrote:
    I don't get it :-k What's the point of the black face paint?

Folow the wikipedia-link in the post of Garak. That explains a lot.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Garak is spot on for the translation

Thanks. For this from me to you -> some pepernoten (engl. "pepper nuts") ;-)
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    It is also today in Czech. (Its called Mikulas here).

Lots of Mikulas and Angels and devils going around giving away candy and coal.

Much nicer than the Fat Coca Cola guy :mrgreen:

Oddly since my wife and I had just come back from a walk through Prague; when I saw your little song I was pretty sure I understood what it was about.

\:D/
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Much nicer than the Fat Coca Cola guy :mrgreen:
    Yeah that's the Coca Cola marketing machine at its best trying to tie a gimmick to sell more to a wide spread European tradition to celebrate sharing and community spirit. Someone here in the US asked me why the Dutch version of Saint Nicholas was "dressed up as a bishop or something" :mrgreen: That goes to show that the Coca Cola marketing machine was very effective in poisoning our minds :roll:
  • Options
    Savatage wrote:
    That picture is exactly how many Dutch kids are celebrating today. Sinterklaas visits schools and towns, and just like kids here in the US have their picture taken with Santa, in Holland they look at Sinterklaas.

The whole Northpole thing and "Santa Claus" was invented by Coca Cola, who put their own spin on the saint. Santa Claus comes from Saint Nicholas, he was a bishop. How do you think a bishop was dressed in those days, like the pope or in a red suit? He'd have been burned at as a heretic if he'd shown up in in church in a Santa costume :mrgreen:
  • Options
    But the fat red Cola man is based on the bishop ....

http://www.articlesbase.com/home-and-fa ... 51149.html

but someone mean, that the US firm "White rock" creates first the Santa in his known style (http://www.whiterocking.org/santa.html)
  • Options
    edited 2008-12-05
    garak wrote:
    But the fat red Cola man is based on the bishop ....
    No he really wasn't. Coca Cola used the bishop to give their holiday marketing machine some legitimacy, but nothing about Santa Claus has anything to do with the bishop. Santa's a jolly fat guy (the actual bishop was probably undernourished) that goes around saying 'HO HO HO' and has elves working for him at the North Pole.

What Dutch kids learn though is that Sinterklaas lives in Spain with his black petes, and he comes to Holland every year in a steam boat. He rides around on a white horse, who is able to climb on top of the roof. If you've been good you get presents and if you've been bad they put you in the burlap sack and take you back to Spain. As a very small child I was VERY scared of black pete, although since then they've changed them around to be friendly mischievous people. So the Dutch version is just as ridiculous as the US version :mrgreen:
  • Options
    i mean the "style" with the red cape.
    But this is offtopic, the post is for Sinterklaas and not for the Coke man
  • Options
    I don't get the whole coal thing
    if the kids are bad to begin with what makes him think they won't throw it back into his face- OUCH! #-o
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Czech tradition example... http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soubor:Mik ... Prerov.jpg
    (figurines in open-air museum)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    DenSter wrote:
    Yeah that's the Coca Cola marketing machine at its best trying to tie a gimmick to sell more to a wide spread European tradition to celebrate sharing and community spirit.

I saw on the news last night about group trying to push Czech to follow Czech traditions, just found they have a website in English. Anti-Santa.cz The URL probably says it all anyway though :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    Some remark about Sinterklaas and his white horse. In some places in Flanderen, he doesn't have a white horse but a donkey to carry the gifts for the children.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!