Best way to distribute an Add-on

navvynavvy Member Posts: 79
Hi,

I have developed an Image Add-On (COM dll) based on freeimage.sourceforge.net for NAV. At the end of the year I want to distribute this little tool (under GPL license) with an example of how it can be used to add additional pictures to an item. The additional pictures will be saved as BLOBs in table Item (27).

My question: What's the best way to distribute this addidional field ?
-> Export the whole table "Item" so it can be merged with an existing Item table ?
-> Make a documentation of the additional table fields so it can be added manually ?
-> other / better way ?

thanks
navvy
navvy
Freelance Developer

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Uploading a trial version to the downloads section is a good start.
  • navvynavvy Member Posts: 79
    I will upload the dll's (with an installer) and the complete source code of this project as soon as I have finished and documented it. But how should I upload the sample application for NAV -> export the whole table "Item" so an Administrator can merge it with his own "Item" table ?
    navvy
    Freelance Developer
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Basically yes the item table (or any other objects needed), you should modify based on the version you are releasing (best is probably to base it on W1).

To be an add-on though you will need to get a number range assigned from Microsoft. But still even if you put the field in the 60,000..99,999 range you should be Ok, so long as its not hard to move the field.
    David Singleton
    ok, thanks for this info. The sample "application" is only a form (Item Pictures) on which you can import and display images with different formats (jpg, gif, .png etc. etc.)

alpha.jpg

As mentioned before, I want to release this project under GPL. I don't can/want to buy a number range assigned from Microsoft (the additional fields in table Item are in 78,000 - 78,020)

navvy
    navvy
    Freelance Developer
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    So can an item have 10 pics?
    As soon as you import a Pic the button changes from "Import pic X" to just "pic X"?
    Are these pics saved IN nav or an outside directory?
    ...its only a very simple demonstration of how it can be used, but here are the answers:

> So can an item have 10 pics?
    11 pics, the original pic (Button "Item Picture") + 10 additional pics

> As soon as you import a Pic the button changes from "Import pic X" to just "pic X"?
    yes, I know, its very simple :)

> Are these pics saved IN nav or an outside directory?
    In this demo all pictures will be saved as JPG IN NAV (Item table). But its open source, you can change this behavior as free as you want (with C# and the embedded FreeImage functions its very very easy)
    navvy
    Freelance Developer