Migration of Navision Native Database to SQL Server Database

SivaMohanYerramsettySivaMohanYerramsetty Member Posts: 26
One of my clients has purchased some of the granules as per his requirement. After some period of time, he wanted to convert the same (native database) to SQL. But when I am trying to use the SQL Database (migrated version of native database), I am getting errors related to license. Does it mean that the client needs to purchase additional granules to work with the SQL database??? If not, how does the same license work error free with the SQL database????
Shiv

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Did you upload the NAV license onto SQL Server? Import does not work on SQL Server, you must use the 'Upload' button on the License information form.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    When did your client purchase his/her license? If they're still on MBL, the company may not have SQL Server option.
  • SivaMohanYerramsettySivaMohanYerramsetty Member Posts: 26
    DenSter wrote:
    Did you upload the NAV license onto SQL Server? Import does not work on SQL Server, you must use the 'Upload' button on the License information form.

Yes, i have uploaded the NAV license onto SQL Server !
    Shiv
  • SivaMohanYerramsettySivaMohanYerramsetty Member Posts: 26
    Alex Chow wrote:
    When did your client purchase his/her license? If they're still on MBL, the company may not have SQL Server option.

Client has SQL Server option also.
    Shiv
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) NAV version?
    2) Security mode?
    3) NAV 4.00> with extended security is more sensitive to permissionssettings and some tables must be added into the roles
    4) Can you post the specific error text?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • damodar123damodar123 Member Posts: 36
    Hello,

Navision version is 4.0sp3 sql server is 2005 express with sp2 build is 9.0.3042
    the error we are getting is you do not have permission to read the analysis view table when opening budget form but when we used with native client the form is working fine

we checked it with both licences but in sql version we are getting the permission problems where as in native they are not coming,It is occuring same with ic partner codes in several scenarios, we are login with user id which is having super permissions and we synchoranized successfully

Thanks,
    Shiv
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) Try to change security mode to standard from extended (it is much better for synchronization...)
    2) Try to enable debugger and see where the code faild.
    3) Check the license permissions for that DataTable (virtual table "License permission").
    4) Native do not need permissions to the table when the table is empty. Reading such a table will not fail. On SQL, SQL needs the permissions to find out that the table is empty and the reading of such a table will fail. This applies to the extended security model. Standard model is using role with access to all tables, thus no problem with that...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • damodar123damodar123 Member Posts: 36
    1) Try to change security mode to standard from extended (it is much better for synchronization...)
    2) Try to enable debugger and see where the code faild.
    3) Check the license permissions for that DataTable (virtual table "License permission").
    4) Native do not need permissions to the table when the table is empty. Reading such a table will not fail. On SQL, SQL needs the permissions to find out that the table is empty and the reading of such a table will fail. This applies to the extended security model. Standard model is using role with access to all tables, thus no problem with that...

i don't have idea to change security modes from Extended to Standard.
    could you please provide directions.

thanks in advance.
  • phaniphani Member Posts: 9
    Hi Damu

Regrading your doubt on how to change the security model.

Open the server with finsql client and go to File Database Alter in that Advanced Tab you will find the
    Security model.

Regards
    Phani
    Microsoft Dynamics Certified Professional
    phanikumar k