All my older Versions!!

BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
i installed nav2009 and all previous versions have been f****ed! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
from 3.10 to 5.01 :evil: :evil: :evil:
-Mirko-
"Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
My Blog

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I really need to find some time this weekend to write that blog don't ? :whistle:

It definitely can be done, and its quite easy, you just need to follow the steps correctly and don't take short cuts.

I have also messed up a couple of times, and always it turned out that I did something wrong.
    David Singleton
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    The best trick is always this:
    Install the oldest version you need. Copy the client-folder to another place and de-install it.
    Then install the next oldest version you need. Copy the client-folder to another place and de-install it.
    And so on, until you get at the latest version. Copy that to another folder and always use the copy in that folder. DO NOT de-install it.

When the next version comes out. De-install the installed version and install the newest one.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Oeps, there goes his blog ;-)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
    Oeps, there goes his blog ;-)

Makes it easier for me that way.

There are still some bits missing.

You need to remove the stored procedures from SQL, and reinstall with the new ones.
    Also upload Cronus.flf to the last version of NAV using the Upload button. Then once its working install your deveper FLF.

I think that's about it.

it really is quite simple, but one step missed and you are soooo out of luck.
    David Singleton
    I am so used to this scenario I don't even think about it. :-k UPDATE : this reply is good for the "if you used NAV for too long..."
    When I get a new portable, I just install the latest version and copy all the others from the old one.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

kriki wrote:
    I am so used to this scenario I don't even think about it.

Me too, but in 2009 you need to be a little bitmore carefull, since it really will mess your regitry if you don't correctly uninstall the old version. Previously if you installed ovver the top of an old version, it was OK, adn still worked, now you really have to be sure to use uninstall then install, not reinstall or update.
    David Singleton
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    i know about the overwrite of older versions, but sometimes nav asks you to install a new instance of the client...nav2009 instead deletes all the previously installed versions without saying you anythintg...i was almost crying when I discovered all my versions disappeared...obviously, i received assistance phone calls from nav3.10 and nav3.70 customers half an hour after the "armageddon"... ](*,)
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    kriki wrote:
    When I get a new portable, I just install the latest version and copy all the others from the old one.

I have a folder on my computer called Navision, it has all the clients for all the versions. Infact, even when I install the newest version, I copy and paste the client folder from the Program Files directory to the new folder and create a shortcut from there.

I never start NAV from the Start menu. 8)
    Alex Chow wrote:

I Know what you mean. I was connecting into a clients system 2 weeks, back. They have pretty tight security, so when I tried to drag a finsql.exe shortcut to the dsktop, it gave me an error.

It then took me an age to work out how to run NAV until I remembered the Start button. :oops:
    David Singleton
    Alex Chow wrote:
    kriki wrote:

I have a folder on my computer called Navision, it has all the clients for all the versions. Infact, even when I install the newest version, I copy and paste the client folder from the Program Files directory to the new folder and create a shortcut from there.

I have EXACTLY the same method!
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    It then took me an age to work out how to run NAV until I remembered the Start button. :oops:

:lol:

Too bad these tips and tricks will not apply to any end users.
  • detlefdetlef Member Posts: 38
    Don't run the setup from the autorun screen.
    Browse to the CsideClient dir and run setup from there.
    You will get the familiar "New" option
    Alex Chow wrote:

:lol:

Too bad these tips and tricks will not apply to any end users.

They are useful anyway:

1) the do apply to new developers.
    2) At least I have the confirmation I am not alone with these 'abnormal problems'. :mrgreen:
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    detlef wrote:
    Don't run the setup from the autorun screen.
    Browse to the CsideClient dir and run setup from there.
    You will get the familiar "New" option
    I'll try thanks!
    p.s.: I've created my own start menu item "navision" subfolder, with all clients in it ;)

also, codegenius is useful!
    -Mirko-
    My Blog