Is there a way to cancel Posted Invoice without Credit Memo?

fmhiguefmhigue Member Posts: 290
This is the scenario:

Every time we send items to the customers we Ship & Invoice in all cases. Just for one of our customer (one of the biggest) we invoice everytime we send items to a fake account. Once the Purchase Order is 100% complete we cancel every single Posted Invoice created and then we create a new invoice in the final account.

The problem is the goverment collects taxes on the sales but applies the credit memos only an the end of the year.

So is the a way to cancel the Posted Invoice without Credit memo?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    fmhigue wrote:
    This is the scenario:

Every time we send items to the customers we Ship & Invoice in all cases. Just for one of our customer (one of the biggest) we invoice everytime we send items to a fake account. Once the Purchase Order is 100% complete we cancel every single Posted Invoice created and then we create a new invoice in the final account.

The problem is the goverment collects taxes on the sales but applies the credit memos only an the end of the year.

So is the a way to cancel the Posted Invoice without Credit memo?

Thank you in advance

There is no way you can acheive this in standard Nav.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • dmitripdmitrip Member Posts: 44
    it looks as you can probably post multiple shipments for the same sales order and then invoice it at once.
    Not sure why you post an invoice to the fake account.
  • fmhiguefmhigue Member Posts: 290
    dmitrip:
    Well actually post every single shipment it is more a company policy to increase the sales and not wait until the whole Purchase Order is complete.
    You can customize to create a provisional sales entry on shipment and then reverse it on actual invoicing. I remember doing it once. The scenario was as follow:

The client was a multi national company in service industry using jobs & resources.The invoices for the period was raised on the last day of the month but the month closing used to happen on 25th.
    The solution provided was : We automated the process to raise provisional invoice on 25th which creates income and provisional customer balance in balance sheet. The provisional invoice is automatically reversed when actual invoice is raised.

Hope this can help.
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Why not just ship without posting invoice? :-k

Then when the order is completely shipped, post the invoice as a whole.
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Why not just ship without posting invoice? :-k

Then when the order is completely shipped, post the invoice as a whole.

The issue is provisional sales booking.
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    fmhigue wrote:
    dmitrip:
    Well actually post every single shipment it is more a company policy to increase the sales and not wait until the whole Purchase Order is complete.

This is wrong in just soooo many ways. ](*,)
    David Singleton
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    There should be more to it than meets the eye... :-k
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
    David:
    I dont like either to invoice every single time but it is an instruction to reflect the sales on the books. Specially on these times.

What do you recomend?
    Well my opinion I make pretty cear here in my blog:

The most powerful tool that a Dynamics NAV consultant can use. - David Singleton's Navision Blog

In yur particular case you need to look at the business requirement. So the cleint needs to recognize sales prior to shipping goods, but don't liek the tax implications.

Step one is to work out exactly what they are trying to do. And I dont mean "the client wants to post invoice lines", I mean "Management need to be able to see future sales in a report..." or "The bank needs to see sales figures to help us with our line of credit..." etc.

Your client should be telling you the business need, and what they need to do, they should NOT be tellign you HOW they need to do it in Navision.
    David Singleton
    David:
    I might not explain myself correctly. Management is the one asking to invoice every single shipment. Let me see what I can with them

thank you a lot
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    I like to compare posted items with sended mails.
    You can't unsend an email when it has been sended, just like you can't unpost a posted item.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
    fmhigue wrote:
    David:
    I might not explain myself correctly. Management is the one asking to invoice every single shipment. Let me see what I can with them

thank you a lot

Well if they are the Navision experts, I can't see why you need to be involved in the project? :-k
    David Singleton
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    fmhigue wrote:
    David:

thank you a lot

The point is WHY are they asking for this, find that out and you are on your way to resolving the business need.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
    fmhigue wrote:
    dmitrip:

Instead of posting the sales order, why not use the recurring journal to post your expected sales amounts?

You would still do partial shipment but don't invoice, then at the end of the month, run a Shipped Not Invoiced report to do your accruals. You would use the amounts to post to your expected costs and expected sales. At the end of the month, you would reverse your journal entries and run the report to do your accruals again.
    By the way, I hope the management's goal is to get an expected sales figure, not trick the investors and the banks.

As a NAV developer, you will run into these kinds of problems where the company's ethics are called into questions with the requests they made. I think I made a post in dynamicsuser.net a few years ago talking about this. :mrgreen:
    Alex Chow wrote:
    By the way, I hope the management's goal is to get an expected sales figure, not trick the investors and the banks.

This is why I am always reluctant to give solutions to a problem till I know the whole story.

fmhigue: its important to understand that its not the we won't help you with this problem, the thing is that if YOU don't know what the clients expectations are, then how do you expect to be able to explain that in a forum and get a solution.

Find out WHY they are doing this. Forget about WHAT they are trying to do in Navision, just solve the business issue first.
    David Singleton
    David:
    I see your point. The problem is our company policy the one that is affecting us. (At least the order from the US offices). We invoice to see affect our sales in a daily basis but on the other hand it affect Mexico office credit it out those amounts.

I was just wondering if we got another way to do it. The customer accept Packing slip or any document we provide with the Item No. and the Quantities.
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Is it the company "policy" to invoice everything, or is it the company "requirement" to see the affect on sales.

You understand that these are completely different. If it is the first, then for for traceability, tax, audit etc you need to credit the invoices.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
    fmhigue wrote:
    David:
    I see your point. The problem is our company policy the one that is affecting us. (At least the order from the US offices). We invoice to see affect our sales in a daily basis but on the other hand it affect Mexico office credit it out those amounts.

I was just wondering if we got another way to do it. The customer accept Packing slip or any document we provide with the Item No. and the Quantities.

Do you really need to post the sales order? Ask your management what information they want by doing this task. If they're just interested in accruing expected sales, use the recurring journal method I described above.