Lock Database

richycyrichycy Member Posts: 2
Hello all.My company is getting ready(trying to at least) to upgrade from 3.7 to 5.0. I have to prepare the users for the major changes for the main menu so I decided to install Nav5 to their pc and let them play with cronus database just to get used to it.My main concern is if they do a mistake and try to login to the live system(3.7) and do a convertion of the database.Nav5 is an sql database and we are using windows login.I think that the perfect solution would be to lock the File-->Database-->Open to the particular database so even they try to change (by mistake I hope) the server name that would be denied.I'm open to any suggestions for doing that and/or for any other ideas you may have.Thanks a lot for your time
Learning never ends

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    May be better is to do Technical upgrade (when everybody have already NAV 5.0 client, why to not use it?). Users will have only one client on the PC and you will not afraid of accidental upgrading of the old DB... ;-)

And, this menu item cannot be "blocked"...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    In order to upgrade the database, the connected user needs UPDATE permission to the $ndo$dbproperty table (and typically permissions for various other tables due to the upgrade steps themselves). Your regular users will not have this so will not be able to upgrade the database anyway. In general, it requires a db_owner to do so.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.