Upgrade 4.0 to 5.0 runtime without conversion?

AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
Our developer in Denmark has told one of the employees here that it was possible to remain on "4.0" with all of our customizations and in half a day convert to 5.0 "runtime" using all of the new features to export to Word and Excel without any data transfers or ramifications. Does anyone have information on this, I have no idea how this would be done- anyone heard of this or have additional information?

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    then he open only the 4.00 Database with the 5.00 Client (exe) and change so the databaseversion in table dbproperty. And you can use the database only with 5.00 Client (ok with a little trick you can open it also with 4.00 Client)

But then you are still use the 4.00 Codebase and not the new from 5.00.
    The New export functions you can use (i'm sure, but never tested).
    But all the new things in NAV 5.00 (like Pre-Payment, new Job module, a better Item Adjust cost, and so on)
    you doesn't have (because you still use the 4.00 codebase)

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    we have done this here... actually, it's 3.7 codebase with a 5.0 client. i think we did it mainly for the SQL improvements as we still have not setup style sheets for the Word/Excel dumps. works fine.

We even still use the classic menus instead of the navigation pane.
    kind of fell into this...
  • AlexWileyAlexWiley Member Posts: 230
    What's the general process for this kind of conversion involve? Are you just updating/adding some of the codeunits? I'm not a developer so I'm just looking for a way to explain this a little better to others in the company.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Normaly, if you want a whole upgrade, you ugrade also the Codebase Objects like, tables, forms, codeunits, reports, etc.
    For this there exist the UpgradeToolkit. There are Object in the Upg.ToolKit for the migration steps (like Upgrade400500SP1de.1.fob and Upgrade400500SP1de.2.fob).
    Thats no problem if you have no customizions.

If you have customz. you must take a look into your code and decide if this code must also be changed
    (for example your code use a function in CU 12 and this function is now changed with the new NAV version, like a new parameter).

If there are table structure changes from one version to the new version, the datas in the table must be also migrated.
    A good example was the switch on Nav 2.xx to 3.xx. Since 3.xx the Value Entries exist. So, one of the migration steps was, to create from the old 2.xx Item Ledger Entries the new Value Entries.

But in the UpgradeToolkit is ever a document that explain what the upgradeprocess will do. So, for a developer it's no problem to migrate the database to the newest codepage.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!