How to Hide the serching record dialog

devenlokdevenlok Member Posts: 9
Dear all,

Is it possible without applying any key to hide the searching record dialog in the process (Note: it occurs when the table record volume is high)?

Regards,
Dev

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Your report goes trough the item ledger Entry table with key "Item No.", "Entry Type", etc.
    Is this the best key for your report design (check the C/AL Code / design)?
    Is there are more then on DataItem and the DataItems are linked and there this key is used?
    Is this key optimal? Is there are also filters on the Item Ledger Entry DataItem (Variable) and these filters are bad for the selected key? Please check this before.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV Tips & Tricks' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]

The fact that you see that box is that you are using a bad index considering the fields on which you filter.
    You could change your report by reading the records using the correct index for your filters, save them in a temptable and then print them from the temptable.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• devenlokdevenlok Member Posts: 9
    Thanx guys,

I wana to do it without applying any key.

Is this possible :idea:
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Did you ckeck your source why do you use this key and did you check if it is optimal (for the filters that u use)
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Dev,

why do you want to hide the dialog? It can't be hidden.

Are you sure that really the issue is that you want to make the report faster, or do you really have a reason that you want this message hidden.

The only reason I could think, is that you know the report is slow, but don't want the client to know. But surely they can just see that its slow and know that something is wrong.

I suppose the real question is "Why don't you just make the report faster so that there will be no warning message?"
    David Singleton
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    The only reason I could think, is that you know the report is slow, but don't want the client to know. But surely they can just see that its slow and know that something is wrong.
    if this is the reason...well, it's one of the most entertaining things i've ever heard (about NAV) :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Back to the topic, you can easily find these bottlenecks with client monitor, but to be honest, if you ask this kind of question, i don't think you're able to use it :-k ...otherwise, you can solve your problem in 15 minutes or less...
    P.S.: you don't need to add a key, maybe an appropriate key already exists, but you're simply not using it (especially if you're not on SQL)
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    devenlok wrote:
    Thanx guys,

I wana to do it without applying any key.

Is this possible :idea:
    No not possible. The cause is "wrong key", the solution is "apply the right key"
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    you can search on the card instead of the list and checkmark the option "Use Best Key"
    This way if a key exists, the NAV will use that key to search for what ever the user is searching for.

You can't do that on the list forms.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    ara3n wrote:
    you can search on the card instead of the list and checkmark the option "Use Best Key"
    This way if a key exists, the NAV will use that key to search for what ever the user is searching for.

You can't do that on the list forms.
    I think its a report, not a form .... :whistle:
    David Singleton
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    :oops:
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • devenlokdevenlok Member Posts: 9
    Hey thanks Guys!

This is not a report problem or not even a form problem, to just giving an example, actually my client having very heavy database, in this they have many companies. They are having this work practice to delete some of company data at the month end, they copy balances from these companies to some other main companies to maintain the balances or these companies.

In this when they delete the company it will show the record dialog box. I think it's not possible in this process to apply any key ](*,)
    4 months later... :shock:
    to delete SOME company data, i think they'll filter by posting date (for example)...are you sure you're using the appropriate key when you filter the date and then delete the record?
    how much is the increase of the record count in the dialog?
    Size of DB?Sql or not?
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    If the data is sorted correctly, the next record Navision searches for will always be the next record in the list. O(1) instead of O(n). I seriously thought I would never break out the Big O Notation...wow.

Anyway...watch your customer run the report. Look at the filters they apply and the filters applied with code. The whole point of the "searching dialog box" is to let the user know that something is still happening, the process is not completed, and that the system is not stuck. Without it you're just left to wonder.
    Belias wrote:

try almost a year...
    devenlok wrote:
    D Post subject: How to Hide the serching record dialog
    Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008 09:31
    David Singleton
    Belias wrote:

try almost a year...