Change listener error in NAV 2009

JF100JF100 Member Posts: 4
edited 2008-12-16 in NAV Three Tier
I have installed NAV2009 and am getting the following error when I try to open it.

'The Microsoft Dynamics Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL server due to the following error; An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to the SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to the SQL Server).

I have installed the demo version and the data is attached to a local install of SQL2005 Server.

Has anyone come accross this error?

Thanks

Answers

• freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    So you just made a Demo install on one machine - and there was no installation on the machine before? (never has been?)
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • JF100JF100 Member Posts: 4
    I also have NAV 5 (SP1) installed.

Yes, I was only installing the 2009 demo version.
  • freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    And you have never had any of the CTP versions of 2009 on the machine right?
    (if you have had that, then maybe there is an old database lying around which it reuses)

Are you running SQL 2005 express or normal?

It sounds to me like a SQL permission problem - you might have an entry in the event log coming from SQL when this happens - maybe that will tell you which user it tries to connect as.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • havhav Member Posts: 299
    In my case, i am getting below error
    The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL Server due to the following error: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

I am not sure which SQL Server permissions are restricting to login.
    Regards,
    Hemant
    MCTS (MB7-841 : NAV 2009 C/SIDE Solution Development)
  • DSZDSZ Member Posts: 4
    The permissions are described in the nav_install.chm.
    This help file is located in the "Documentation\Install Guides" folder of the installation cd. The name of the help page is "Configuring Microsoft SQL Server" located in the "Configuring" node.

These steps have to repeated for every database the service tier (the account which is used for it) connects to.

In one case these permissions weren't enough and I just granted the user owner permission. It is only a development system so the security wasn't an issue.
    Daniel
  • dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    If you are using NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE as the NAV Server account, and the database is on the same machine, then the required login, user and permissions are setup for you if you use the Classic client to attach the database to the SQL Server (if you use Management Studio to attach it you need to set this up manually).
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • JF100JF100 Member Posts: 4
    I was able to resolve this error by changing the DatabaseServer parameter of the CustomSettings.config file to my SQL Server instance name, rather than the computer name as specified in the documentation.

Referring to the MS Dynamics NAV2009 Installation and Configuration Help documentation, in the 'Configuring Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server' section - it says:

DatabaseServer: 'Identifies the COMPUTER running the SQL server'

By changing this to the name of the SQL server instance where my demo database was attached, I was able to resolve the issue.
  • mootsoomootsoo Member Posts: 70
    Hi all!
    I have a question. I'm new in navision. Now i'm working on 5.0
    But i heard Navision 6.0 already using and Nav 2009 is the newest version and it's in the Visual Studio. Am i right? is it true?
    It's mean now i can work on navision in visual studio.NET?

best regards
    bye my work, bye navision
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    you can work in Visual Studio if you want to work with web services. Otherwise you still need to develop in CAL.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n