Restoring native - tape backup

ajmalsherifajmalsherif Member Posts: 111
Hi

a tape backup when restored should produce the navision (native) database. In our case the database is split to 2 drives on the server.
In the event the same server (with 2 drives) is no longer in use is it possible to run the database from a box with one drive?

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    How are you backing up - Hotcopy - Nav Backup - Just copying the database files?

yes, when you restore a database you first create a database for the info to be put into.
    So "someother 1 drive box" you would install the client -> create a database & restore the backup files
    I typed that quick I hope it made sence. Also there is a pdf on the product cd that explains all about backups & restoring
  • ajmalsherifajmalsherif Member Posts: 111
    My understanding is that when you restore a tape backup you end up with the database - the way it was prior to the failure (ie .fdb). So in my dark scenario...we cant use the original server box (which had 3 discs " In our case the database is split to 2 drives on the server "). The new server has only one disc - will it connect ok to the database or will the files be looking for the other discs?
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    a backup is a backup - it still needs to be restored to the database.

Unless your backup is simply a copy of the dabatase files.

To figure this out - is the backup on the tape a *.FDB or *.FBK file