Dimension Combination Validation - outside Nav

rjd58rjd58 Member Posts: 4
Hi,
I have a custom application outside of Nav that allows users to choose a combination of dimension values. This combination is then stored by this external tool. The dimension values available for selection in this external tool are extracted straight from the Nav database.

Problem is, I need a way of "validating" the combination of dimension values the user has selected, based on any rules defined in Nav.

I don't particularly want to reproduce the business rule logic in my own tool, and would rather do a real-time call to Nav, that asks whether a given set of dimension values is a "valid" combination.

I would be interested in any suggested approaches to this problem that you may have.

Thanks.

Comments

• markborgesmarkborges Member Posts: 170
    Hi rjd58,

I think the only problem we have here is that C/ODBC (which you are probably using) is very poor which data consistency and allows every kind of information to be put on the database, withouth doing any checks.

Even if you have SQL Server (and that should be a second way to get your information), there are no "Table Triggers" to validate the information you put directly in the SQL database outside Nav.

I think that, even if you find a solution for Navision to check it automatically, you'll spend more time finding it than implementing the Business rules of Dimension-Value validation in your external program. And we must agree that this rules are not thaaaat hard, huh?!

:)
    Marcelo Borges
    D365 Business Central Solutions Architect
    BC AL/NAV C/AL Developer
    BC Repositories.com
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    You could do something with NAS using either MSMQ or a webservice. Send a message to NAS and get back a reply.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.