Options

Nav 2009 Webservice Licensing

genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
edited 2009-02-26 in NAV Three Tier
Hello

I read the licensing document on partnersource and have some doubts.

If I am making a website that will consume webservices on NAV, what licensing should my customer purchase.

If the end users are just employees,
What license/ granuale do I need and what is total cost fo 10 users for example?

Thank you.

if the users are not employees, but customers who come to place orders?

Comments

• Options
    Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    Based on bits we have had through from Microsoft.

Your Employees would need to have, at the very least, a DCO licence each.

For non employees I think the external connector that will cover them.

In general, the rules are relatively simple, if you use, access, read or update data relating to Microsoft Dynamics NAV then some form of valid Dynamics licencing is required. This may take the form of Concurrent, Mobile, External Connector or DCO licence.

Regards

Ian
    Regards

Ian
  • Options
    p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    True. If you have internal users, you will have to buy 1 DCO for every named user, no limit (!). No maximum that is. Even if you have an application looking up the postal codes with 1.000 users, you will have to buy 1.000 named DCO's. External users are the same: you will need a named DCO for each user. Only difference is that you can buy them off with the external connector.

I don't think it's wise to post prices here, just contact your NAV partner...
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm curious if it’s voluntary partner suggestion licensing or enforced in some other way?
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    generic wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I'm curious if it’s voluntary partner suggestion licensing or enforced in some other way?

Licensing is never a "voluntary suggestion". Whether or not the restrcitions are technically enforced you are agreeing to abided by them when you install the software.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    I was looking at the new licensing with DCO. They basically state that any access to the data needs to be licensed.

So If I write a SQL report that gets the data and displays the data for the whole company, then I need license for the whole company.

So a company that has 1000 users but only accounting is using NAV, and if they publish a sql report, then the company needs to purchase licenses for 1000 users.

So any company that use currently nav 5.0 with this scenario will pay through the nose if they upgrade.
  • Options
    mootsoomootsoo Member Posts: 70
    Hi everybody!
    This NAV2009 is mixing my head. I don't understand that webservice.
    Is that form 810 is NAV2009's object? or not? Everywhere says that open form810. But my NAV2009 doesn't have it.
    Maybe my question is stupid, but i hope someone will answer me.
    bye my work, bye navision
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Yes there is a form 810 Web Services. You should have in your 2009 database. You can also run the table manually. It's table 2000000076 Web Service.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    But in my navision there isn't.
    So can i take it by text format?
  • Options
    ok... so what version of nav are you using?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    Now i'm using nav2009.
    Trying to implement nav2009.
  • Options
    do you have any pages objects? Do you see a page by that number?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    No, i don't have page's object.
    Yesterday i had NAV2009 License.
    I don't have form 810. I have only one object that related with Web service. (table 2000000076)
  • Options
    Ravi_ThakkarRavi_Thakkar Member Posts: 392
    Hi Ian_Piddington,

Your Statement,
    In general, the rules are relatively simple, if you use, access, read or update data relating to Microsoft Dynamics NAV then some form of valid Dynamics licencing is required. This may take the form of Concurrent, Mobile, External Connector or DCO licence.
    is not true in one case. [-X [-X [-X

We can access NAV data in web application through SQL Server database without having any of the licances use.

I have developed one Web Application using the same which do not required any type of user licence and can be accessd by unlimited users through web.
    But ya, for that we will need to do lot much customization at asp.net side.

Do not mind at all. I just informed.
    \:D/ \:D/
    Ravi_Thakkar
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    E Mail : ravi.thakkar@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Hi Ian_Piddington,

Your Statement,
    is not true in one case. [-X [-X [-X

We can access NAV data in web application through SQL Server database without having any of the licances use.

I have developed one Web Application using the same which do not required any type of user licence and can be accessd by unlimited users through web.
    But ya, for that we will need to do lot much customization at asp.net side.

Do not mind at all. I just informed.
    \:D/ \:D/

To start with, in your scenario, the NAV SQL server needs to be licensed for unlimited users (processor licensing). I'm not sure, but I also think you need to have the "External Connector".
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Just because you are not getting an error message does not mean that you would not be violating the licensing agreement [-X
  • Options
    DenSter wrote:
    Just because you are not getting an error message does not mean that you would not be violating the licensing agreement [-X

MS Basically with the licensing model has every client held by their balls. You will pay through the roof, if it's your employees who have access to NAV data. This makes NAV too expensive for larger companies that want to do any integration. Unless they change the license, companies that are thinking of upgrading, I suggest to look for other ERP solutions. :!: :!: :!:
  • Options
    Software licensing is not unique to Microsoft. No company in this arena gives their product away.
  • Options
    bbrown wrote:
    Software licensing is not unique to Microsoft. No company in this arena gives their product away.

yes, except Open source, but that's another subject.

The main difference in here is that MS is basically saying, we own your data as well. Not just the software, but they own your data. So if you move the data from NAV to CUBE for analysis. Or replicate or move the data to display on web through a report, you still need to pay access to the data. What even more funnier is that if their code screws up the data, then they are not liable for the data.
  • Options
    generic wrote:
    MS is basically saying, we own your data as well. Not just the software, but they own your data.
    No they are saying you have to purchase a license to access the data, if the access method is part of a NAV or SQL Server process.
    generic wrote:
    So if you move the data from NAV to CUBE for analysis. Or replicate or move the data to display on web through a report, you still need to pay access to the data.
    Yes of course. Say you build a BI cube using SQL Server tools, and you display it using Sharepoint Server. You would need a license to be able to use the SQL Server tools, and a license to be able to use Sharepoint. What do you expect, free access to all MSFT products?

If you want to use a non-MSFT product to build a cube then you have to purchase a license for that product as well. What's the problem with that?
  • Options
    Microsoft does not require you to license for NAV if you are moving data to another system. If one user moves data from NAV to a reporting database that is used by 50 people, only the 1 user needs a NAV license. But if the 50 people are running a report that looks back into the NAV database (even if they don't use NAV) then they must be licensed for NAV.
  • Options
    The reporting database will need to be licensed though, maybe not with a NAV license (unless it's another NAV database) but it still needs to be licensed access.
  • Options
    bbrown wrote:
    Microsoft does not require you to license for NAV if you are moving data to another system. If one user moves data from NAV to a reporting database that is used by 50 people, only the 1 user needs a NAV license. But if the 50 people are running a report that looks back into the NAV database (even if they don't use NAV) then they must be licensed for NAV.

WRONG. Read the FAQ
    if an end user runs report that accesses data from an external data
    cube that is automatically updated from data within the NAV database – does
    that require a DCO license?

Yes, whether connection is directly into the Dynamics application or indirectly through the server, it is
    still access to the Dynamics data and therefore users must be licensed for access.

As you can see even if the data resides in another database (cube), another ERP system, the users still need license.
    If you are accessing the data directly, or indirectly you pay.
  • Options
    The operative word in that sentence is "automatically", which means that the user using the cube is causing a process to update data from NAV. Yes, this requires a NAV license.

The scenario that I gave was one where there is no connection between the cube and NAV. The cube is updated as an independent manual process. The user running that process must be licensed for both NAV and the cube.
  • Options
    bbrown wrote:
    The operative word in that sentence is "automatically", which means that the user using the cube is causing a process to update data from NAV. Yes, this requires a NAV license.

The scenario that I gave was one where there is no connection between the cube and NAV. The cube is updated as an independent manual process. The user running that process must be licensed for both NAV and the cube.

It doesn't matter if it's automatic or not.
    Any employee users accessing Microsoft Dynamics NAV data, directly or indirectly, must license a 
    DCO for each named user. 

So in order to bypass this the license. Instead of NAS or a sql job backing up the database and restore it, the company can hire a Monkey to click a button every second? Thats just stupid.
  • Options
    DenSter wrote:
    The reporting database will need to be licensed though, maybe not with a NAV license (unless it's another NAV database) but it still needs to be licensed access.

Yes, that is true.

This NAV license model is inline with the multi-tier licensing for SQL Server. Which says any user accessing the SQL database (regardless of how many layers separate them) must have an SQL license.
  • Options
    Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    The guideance we got was if a NAV User runs a function that exports data and that data is then used in turn to populate a system that is used to report on the data then only the user exporting the data needs to be licensed.
    generic wrote:
    bbrown wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's automatic or not.
    Any employee users accessing Microsoft Dynamics NAV data, directly or indirectly, must license a 
    DCO for each named user. 

So in order to bypass this the license. Instead of NAS or a sql job backing up the database and restore it, the company can hire a Monkey to click a button every second? Thats just stupid.

So yes if you don't want to buy DCO's for every user you can employee a monkey to click the buttons every second. It may be stupid but that is the way it is apparantly. Of course you may want a second monkey just incase the first one wants some holiday or gets RSI by clicking the button to often :D
    Regards

Ian
  • Options
    This thread reminds of Simpson episode where homer is working from home and he gets this Lever that keeps hitting the yes button.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    Maybe clients can hire a cat. Take a look at this thread.

http://digg.com/security/Don_t_like_EUL ... ee_to_them
  • Options
    Ravi_ThakkarRavi_Thakkar Member Posts: 392
    Hello All,

You all are correct according to your expertize. I appreciate it.
    But, in my scenario related to the Web Application,

1) All the User names and passwords are handled in the NAV Table.
    2) At the login time, username and password verification is provided using the SQL Queries accessing that table.
    3) After all varifications and validations, user will be able to view or update respective data to SQL database (i.e. NAV Data)
    4) And as usval, web.config contains the SQL Login Name and Password information.
    5) It worked successfully. =D> =D>

And ya, I mean in stmt. "No Licence needed" is that, as NAV Client or even Web Users of NAV DB required to have licence per each, while in my scenario I will not need any extra licence for each and every user.
    Ravi_Thakkar
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    E Mail : ravi.thakkar@hotmail.com
  • Options
    ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    I think you need a external connector license. Your website is using NAV data.