Security "Un-synchronized"?

matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
For lack of a better word, has anyone ever heard of SQL Security "un-synchronizing"?

Running NAV5.0 SP1 executables, NAV5.0 code, SQL 2005, Enhanced Security Model.

Before lunch everyone was running smoothly. Then all of a sudden after lunch many people are getting SQL errors. "Cannot SELECT from XXX". Doing a resynch fixes the problem.

As of now I'm doing this for users as they submit help requests because I can't do a synchronize all during business hours.

Where to even begin to try to figure out what caused this?

Comments

• idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    I have encountered this many times in 4.x.
    Sometimes synch user A will result in user B un-synched...
    Did anyone changed their password or new user was added?
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    We use all Windows authentication, so I don't know if anyone changed their password. And no new users were added today.

I'm in the middle of a "Synchronize All" so hopefully things will be working tomorrow.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I'm am thinking some non admin person tried to synch security.

Also would it be possible to change security mod to standard?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It can be some FOB import, object compilations, etc. which will "remove" the permissions... It is why I never use the enhanced security model...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I think I have lost count of how many times this thread has been started, and always the solution is the same. Switch to Standard Security model.

I will ask the question again:

Does anyone have a valid reason for using enhanced security model? I know it can make it easier to pass SOX compliance, but even on 3.70 there was no problem becoming SOX compliant, so even that does not seem to justify Enhanced.

Mattrax, can we ask why your company uses Enhanced?
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    haha, because our DBA said it was better. I've actually been investigating downgrading to Standard over the past few weeks because I'm tired of all the synchs and resynchs. I also can find no reason to use Enhanced.

I know there are many threads out there about the differences between the two models, so I don't think we have to go much further with this. I just wasn't sure how to word my search query.

If anyone else has anything to add, though, by all means. I'll take as much info and knowledge as I can get.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    edited 2008-11-14
    Some how I allways think of this picture when I hear of DBAs talking about how important the Enhanced security model is. :whistle:
    David Singleton
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    make sure only you can sync security. Remove the permission from everybody else.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n