Options

Connect MS Access to Navision for Dummies

AnonymousAnonymous Guest Posts: 137
Hello,

I’ve been searching the forum and only found parts of the answer I need.
Don’t know anything about Navision but I’d like to connect to a MS Access database to Navision
Can anybody give me a step-by-step dummies explanation how to do this.
How to set up the connection, what data source I should look for (Navision is a .fdb extention right?,…
I would be so gratefull

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Hello
    we need more info on what you need to intergrade.
    But the following link shows you an example on how to use ado to connect from nav to access.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2407

if you need the other way, you can create views in access that will point to sql server (if you sql version of nav), or create ODBC connection to nav server.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    You want to think seriously before doing this?

What is the reason for linking to Access? I am sure there are valid reasons for doing it, but most of the times I have seen Access tied into Navision it was for the wrong reasons, and ended out being very very expensive.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Hello,

I'd like to start from Access to link to Navision.
    As I can work pretty well with Access and it takes the developers (a lot of) time to change something in Navision (we don't develop ourselves) I thought I might connect to the database to retrieve the data I need for the time being..

So what I need is a step to step guide to connecting to the Navision database starting from Access.
    I develop Access databases but never had the need to connect to an external database so the odbc part is still a bit of a mystery to me.

Thankyou for your answers until now.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    sql server use odbc
    native server use n/odbc

Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Data Sources

once you can configure your database you'll be able to view it in access

Open Access->Open->File->Change Type to ODBC Database-> Click on Machine Data Source - you should see the connection you created using adminstrative tools.

As long as you use it for retreiving only! if you do an update query you'll be bypassing standard Nav logic and errors can insue.
  • Options
    Michele wrote:
    Hello,

I'd like to start from Access to link to Navision.
    As I can work pretty well with Access and it takes the developers (a lot of) time to change something in Navision (we don't develop ourselves) I thought I might connect to the database to retrieve the data I need for the time being..

Why not take a look at Jet Reports.

Reporting in Access can end out costing you a lot of money.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Savatage wrote:
    sql server use odbc
    native server use n/odbc

Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Data Sources

once you can configure your database you'll be able to view it in access

Open Access->Open->File->Change Type to ODBC Database-> Click on Machine Data Source - you should see the connection you created using adminstrative tools.

As long as you use it for retreiving only! if you do an update query you'll be bypassing standard Nav logic and errors can insue.

I'll give it a try. Promise not to update data :)
  • Options
    Why not take a look at Jet Reports.

Reporting in Access can end out costing you a lot of money.[/quote]

We don't have Jet Reports yet (yes, we're waiting for it to be installed) and...mmm.... I'm pretty good at reporting in Access :wink:
    Just need it to run a few queries
  • Options
    Michele wrote:
    ... I'm pretty good at reporting in Access :wink:
    Just need it to run a few queries

I wish you luck then. If you have a small enough system (say 5-6 Users) you should be OK, but if the system is larger (30+ users) then in a years time you will look back and see how much it cost you.
    David Singleton