Problem setting security permissions

davidecdavidec Member Posts: 63
Hello!

I’ve developed some custom objects concerning job management and now I need to specify appropriate roles and permission for the users (Windows Logins, btw). I’m using NAV 5.0 SP1 IT.

Specifically, among other objects, I implemented a table “Job User Type”, which has to be available (Read,Insert,Modify,Delete) just to “Job admins”. Other users (“job managers”), must have the “Job” table available (R,I,M,D). Form “Job Card” reads, among others, table “Job User Type” to apply some logic to the displayed jobs.

So, after reading all the docs I found on the issue, I tried to set the appropriate permission. I did not find any predefined roles for job management, so I started from scratch with the “Job managers”, who must not see table “Job User Type”. I set all “Table Data” permissions to Yes for all the objects managers need to use directly, then set all “Table Data” permissions to “Indirect” for Table “Job User Type”. An error occurred, specifying I don’t have the permission to read from table “Job User Type”. But the role I’m defining must indeed not read that table, so I cannot set the Read permission to true, hence I tried to specify the R,I,M,D permissions to true for “Table” “Job User Type” (rather than “Table Data”). No change!

I tried several combinations, but I didn’t achieve my goal: it looks like I need to make “Job User Type” available to “Job managers”, whereas they should not be able to even know its existence… Am I missing some basic concept, or is it really so?

I always assigned also role “ALL” to the users I’m testing with…

Thank you very much in advance!

PS: I also used the Client Monitor, but I did not find further information.

Answers

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    In my CRONUS database for NAV 5.00SP1 there are these standard roles:
    Role ID Name
    JOB-JOBS Read jobs and entries
    JOB-JOBS, EDIT Edit jobs
    JOB-JOURNAL Create entries in job journals
    JOB-JOURNAL, POST Post job journals
    JOB-PERIODIC Job periodic activities
    JOB-REGISTER Read job registers
    JOB-SETUP Job setup

You can add permissions into these standard roles...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • davidecdavidec Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for your help, but I solved my problem, which actually was not that I did not find standard roles (well, I did not, but I didn't look properly), rather that I didn't know how to use effectively indirect permissions. I needed brand new roles, since I developed a bunch of custom objects and tampering standard roles was not my favourite option... :D

By the way, I solved my problem using indirect permissions to some objects and the "Permissions" property inside Forms to give direct access to those objects.