Navision Application Server stops working

TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
Scenario:
NAS is used for running reports daily (import/export data). Sometimes (haven't found a pattern yet), NAS stops working (when we check status it is still showed as in Running state, but scheduled tasks are not executed anymore).

- I can login to the sever with the same username which is running NAS and complete all scheduled tasks manually within Navision (therefore, it is not related to permissions).
- If I restart NAS, scheduled tasks are executed successfully and NAS is working fine for several days until it stops again.

Have anyone had similar issues?

In Event Viewer, Application log I see several warnings for NAS pointing to breakpoints at reports which are not used in job queue. Can these breakpoints stop NAS from working even when they are not used within Job Queue?

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Which OS?
    32 or 64 bit?
    SQL or Native?
    NAV Versions?
    If SQL,what you see as status for the NAS session when you look at the SQL sessions list?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    kine wrote:
    Which OS?
    32 or 64 bit?
    SQL or Native?
    NAV Versions?
    If SQL,what you see as status for the NAS session when you look at the SQL sessions list?

- Windows Server 2003
    - 32bit
    - SQL (2005)
    - NAV 5.0
    - At the moment status is sleeping (as I have restarted the NAS). And until it stops next time, I am not sure what status it had before.
    Ok, after you will know the status when it "freeze", I have no tip for you. When the NAS will be in "freeze" status, check the "last executed command" too...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Hi,

Are you using "Navision Timer 1.0" automation ?

If you're using Navision Timer automation then it happens sometimes when you are just in the middle of ::Timer event (or whatever code called from ::Timer), and another event is fired.

It seems that NAV C/AL is not reentrant.

Double check if just a the beginning of your ::Timer event handler you're calling:
    NTimerVariable.Enabled(FALSE);
    NTimerVariable.Interval(0) ;
    Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Hi,
    Double check if just a the beginning of your ::Timer event handler you're calling:
    NTimerVariable.Enabled(FALSE);
    NTimerVariable.Interval(0) ;
    Yes, and if so please check the OnError-Trigger of the Timer-Variable:
    NTimerVariable.Interval(myInterval)
    NTimerVariable.Enabled(TRUE)

• TimSimmondsTimSimmonds Member Posts: 47
    Hi,

We are running into similiar problems, runnning with Nav v360b on SQL2000 in a citrix/VM environment.

We have Nas calling one codeunit, with upto 3 timer events running different functions.

Just wondered if the suggestions worked?

Regards...
  • mrQQmrQQ Member Posts: 239
    we have a same problem with 5.0 SP1, running on Windws 2008 R2 x64.

Job Queue just stops..
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    I'm not sure, but it might be that the timer automation object does not work at all on x64.
    Thomas
  • mrQQmrQQ Member Posts: 239
    Well it worked for a month before it stopped..
    For me it works, but NTimer never worked when you install the Business Notification Server on same machine...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    We had a lot of problems with 5.00 SQL 2005 x64 with NAS running on dedicated XP (32) box.

Stopped 3-4 times a week.

We upgraded to 5.00sp1 and had no problems since.
    David Singleton
  • jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi,

we have the same problem here with 4 NAS servers running on a virtual 32bit box, and up to 7 timers in the NAS handler codeunit. NAV is a 2009SP1, SQL2008 cluster x64. What seems to work is to lock the timer events against each other:
    TestAndSetBusyFlag() : Boolean
    IF NOT BusyFlag THEN BEGIN
      BusyFlag:=TRUE;
      EXIT(BusyFlag);
    END ELSE BEGIN
      //message('reentrant timer event'); 
      //when this message is in the event log, then it's proof of 2 timer events executing concurrently. Or nested. Both is not good.
      EXIT(FALSE);
    END;

_AppNavisionTimer::Timer(Milliseconds : Integer)
    IF TestAndSetBusyFlag THEN BEGIN
      AppStart;
      BusyFlag:=FALSE;
    END;

with best regards

Jens