maximum server memory

fabio78fabio78 Member Posts: 37
Hi all,
which is the maximum server memory that Navision native server DB can allocate?

I've Navision 5.0 sp1 installed.

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    every native server instance can only alloc. 1 GB of RAM.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    and, please don't give now the whole Server 1 GB. NAV can only alloc 1 GB but other processes and apps and the OS self need also RAM. So give the OS for example 4GB of RAM and one of them is alloc. by Database server. The rest for the OS and other apps.

Regards
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    for a dedicated native server, 1,5 Gb RAM is usually enough. That way, the OS has 0,5 Gb and the database server consumes 1Gb.
    That's what I always go for... . If you want, you can download a PowerPoint about it here.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
    mhm Waldo, i would say it's also dependent on the Windows Server Version (for example Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition) and the database size and the count of users. I'm on you (is thie the right word choice / translation?) when you have a small db like <40GB and there are <50 Users and you have the standard edition of Windows 2003 that 1.5 GB could be enougth. But on my experience when the db is > 40 GB and there are more then 50 users and we use the enterprise verson that 1.5 GB is not enough so we go to 3GB or more. But you're right, it is ever dependent on this for what ther Windows server is (dedicated, other job's on the machine like NAS or PDF spooler or printer Spooler or what else <- these are stupid examples i know but often see this)

Regards
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Database size doesn't matter. The caching happens in the 1Gb cache window, and the reading on the disks. So to bigger the db, the more important the

The number of user on the other hand, is another story, and you're probably right on that one. But I have to be honest, when I have a +30 user environment, I (always) recommend to go for SQL Server... . I don't want to be on native anymore.

Anyway, one thing is for sure ... and in Dutch we've got some kind of expression for it: "Meten is Weten", litteraly translated to "measuring is knowing". It's easy to see when your server has not enough memory. Above that, memory is cheap.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Hi,

Maximum native server memory is 1073676288 bytes

Regards,
    Slawek

PS Did I win anything ? :mrgreen:
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG