NAV Client listening on port 10599

Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
Hi Everybody,

Did you notice that NAV5 Native Client opens and listen on TCP/10599 port ? You can run
telnet localhost 10599
from command line and get connection established when fin.exe is running.

Do anybody know what is this for ? Can we use it for something useful ?

Regards,
Slawek
Slawek Guzek
Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I would think it is used to communicate with debugger or upgradetoolkit?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    mhm, for the debugger it is normaly port 3704 and this port is only opend when the debugger is running. For Upgrade toolkit never checked.
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    For a detailed listings of all TCP/UDP connections on our systems, including the local and remote addresses and state of TCP connections, i use this tool.

Maybe it is helping for you.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Hi,

I'm quite familiar with TCPView and stuff like that, but all they don't tell you the answer - for what.

I've double checked and it is not for debugger, neither for developer toolkit. Debugger is listening on it's own port, and NAV client initiates connection to it, while its own TCP/10599 socked remains open and listening.

I hoped that meybe someone have found anything useful about that ? Perhaps something like kind of 'remote control' allowing to run backup remotely? Perhaps CFRONT uses that for something ?

I've just spottet the fact and I'm curious if anybody knows anything about that..

Regards
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I tested this by running 5.0 and connecting to a local db and there is no open port on 10599.
    Do you have to be connected to a native server?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    ara3n wrote:
    I tested this by running 5.0 and connecting to a local db and there is no open port on 10599.
    Do you have to be connected to a native server?

I tested this with a native server and do not get a response on port 10599. Did I miss a step?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Hi,

No, no special setup was required in my case.

I've just run fin.exe, opened the database from file and that's it. I've spotted opened port by fin.exe when searching for some process using Process Explorer from Sysinternals. Then started telnet localhost 10599 and got the connection.

Just to clarify - it was on NAV 5.0 SP1 client executables build no. 5.0.26084.0

Didn't checked on many different executables - only on 3.70B build 3.70.2.19868, but there was nothing like that.

Maybe it is some .NET sutf ?? :-k Perhaps for .NET debugger ? :-k

Regrads,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Maybe it's something with SP1. I was using the original 5.0. I don't have an SP1 native server handy. All my SP1 work so far has been SQL. I don't see that much native with new installs anymore.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Hi,

I'm also not using native server, one or two customers with 3.70 are using native server. Sometimes I'm using local copy to do some small developments but that's not the point.

Fin.exe opens and listen on TCP/10599 port regardless of you connected to native server or just opened the database from file. If you connect to native database then fin.exe initiates separate connection do the server, and still listens on TCP/10599. It still keep listening on this port even if you don't have any database opened... :-k

Second running instance of fin.exe does not opening anthing to listen... Probab'y because TCP/10599 is already opened by the first instance.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    May be it is used in situations when you open the DB file directly and you start more clients on one PC connecting to this DB (it is working like when using DB server, you can connect more clients directly to the file on one PC...) and this port is used to communicate between clients... :-k
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi Kine,

No, I've checked and second and following instances of fin.exe do not attempt to connect to the first one.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

I have seen this and got it to work, the Development Toolkit can export your changed objects directly to an open 5.0 client.
    It was quite neat.

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
    :shock:

I've checked with Developer Toolkit running and transferring objects from native NAV Client and it didn't communicate via this port... It didn't even open any connection (except to the MSSQL box when using SQL database). I suspect that Developer Toolkit is communicating with NAV Client through the system ROT table, as described somewhere on mibuso.

How did you manage to connect to the NAV client via this port ? Would you mind to post some details ?

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Let me try and set this up again.

I got a new PC so I have to install everything again ](*,)

I will try to get an answer back before the end of the week.

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.