Options

Generating applications

vg2809vg2809 Member Posts: 14
edited 2004-06-09 in Navision Financials
I am new to Navision . Just learning the ropes .
Could anybody inform how a small application is generated as a separate
executable . I find in downloads section, executable applications are
available . How they are created, once the programming is over in say
dataport object .How such executable applications are made available in
web for others to fetch and execute?

Comments

• Options
    janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    Hello.

First of all, navision applications cannot be .exe files. Instead they are objects (table/form/codeunit/dataport/report) but they rely on fin.exe for execution.

The .exe (and .dll and .ocx) files you find in the download section most often are tools or an extension of the technical functionality of navision.

These programs are created by 4GL development languages such as Visual Basic, C-Sharp or Visual C++ or Delphi.

If you want to create your own programs and don't have 4GL experience then i would reccomend using Visual Basic 6. VB6 is easy to learn and you can write programs quickly.
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply, janpieter .

If I have developed an application for Navision users, how I can enable others to download from web and use ? You mentioned that "the .exe (and .dll and .ocx) files you find in the download section most often are tools or an extension of the technical functionality of navision." . If so, could you please explain how the extension is done using say VB6 . I just want only a bird's eye view of the whole scenario .
  • Options
    janpieterjanpieter Member Posts: 298
    To make your own program available here go to "Download" > "Submit your own file" on this website.

To create programs I sugest you buy a book. If you want to create a DLL look in the chapter where the book discusses "ActiveX DLL". These type of DLL's are usable for navision. A DLL gives you more flexibility then a EXE.

When you find this chapter learn how to:
    - create functions
    - create properties
    - create events

To use this "ActiveX DLL" in navision consult the navision C/Side help. I beleive there is an article about automation.
    In a world without Borders or Fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
  • Options
    Thanks for your help .