Drive Adobe InDesign fom NAV

bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
Hi.

I'm being called upon to somehow bridge NAV to InDesign (ver CS3). The idea is to create documents based on records in the NAV db.

I have no experience with InDesign (and just enough to be dangerous in NAV :mrgreen: ) and I'm wondering if anyone out there has any pointers/tips/whatever to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    When I think Nav & Documents - I think "MS word" - Isn't InDesign a picture/graphics program?
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    has the InDesign some dlls (Automations) that you can use?
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    Hi.

I just downloaded a trial version. I *think* there are dlls that I can use.

Oh, and InDesign seems to be the successor to PageMaker.

Bob
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    Yes, InDesign supports Automation.

I Have installed InDesign version CS3.

In C/Side I can declare a variable of type Automation, Sub-type 'Adobe InDesign CS3 Type Library'. Under the classes I chose 'Application'.

But, when I execute idApp(CREATE) I get the error:
    Could not create an instance of the OLE control or Automation server identified by the GUID={666F676B-7790-4B6F-B691-EC43C6F94C18} 1.0:{296CAEB5-C99C-4B3E-9359-6E7D6EAE71FC}:'Adobe InDesign CS3 Type Library'.Application. Check that the OLE control or Automation server is correctly installed and registered.

](*,)

But, I seem to get a bit further using Tcl/Tk (a (great!) scripting language) with an add-on COM package. In that environment (which I have used very successfully to drive Excel and Word) when I try to instantiate an 'InDesign.Application', InDesign actually boots (ie: the application loads and I see it on the display). I get an odd error after that, and maybe that's part of the mix. ... ?

Hoping someone has some pointers ...

Thanks in advance.