Phys. Inventory Journal - Calculate Inventory

bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
The 'Calculate Inventory' function fires report 790 'Calculate Inventory'. The 'Posting Date' on the request form is used (obviously) for the journal posting date. However, the calculated inventory quantities are based on all the Item Ledger Entries in the db - there doesn't seem to be any concept of a cut-off or as-of date. I tested this with various dates and the resulting quantity is always the same no matter what date I used. I also varifued in the report code that the date has no impact on the calculations.

The only other experience I have with this is an old Nav 3.7 db with Process 800 installed. There, the Functions menu choice is 'Calculate Inventory at Date' which fires (non-stock NAV?) report 50052 'Calc. Inventory at Date'. That report DOES filter the ILE records to those up to the date entered.

Without that filter, using the 5.0 report seems sort of scary - how do you time your actions to generate a calculated inventory as of a given cut-off date to balance against a physical count taken on that date?

I saw stuff in the Help about counting periods, but it gave me a headache. Is the 'magic' somewhere in there?

Thanks!

Bob

Answers

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    When we do counts we do it as of that day. The report says 100 - lets go to Shelf/Bin and see if there are 100 there. I mean that makes sense to me after all it's the Phys Inventory Journal.

Why run it as of two months before? If you need to calc by date you would use the Inventory Valuation Report.

As you see report 50052 is a custom report created by or for you. anything 50000 to 99999 is your range.
  • bhalpinbhalpin Member Posts: 309
    Ok, I get it.

You have to run the report on the day you take the inventory. It's never stated in the documentation though - and that's a pretty serious land-mine to step on.

Thanks

Bob
    What else would you use the Phys. Inventory Journal if not for counting?
    My only point was this: If you - for whatever reason - fail to run this report on the correct date (or some genius deletes the batch before you record and post the physical count), then the calculated inventory will be off by by any inventory movements posted after that date.

Bob
    We use the item journal to make inv adjustments Up/or down for items here or there - we use the Phy's Inv Journal to make larger/broader adjustments such as a yearly count. Does that custom report no longer work for you?
    The custom report is in a different client's (3.7) database, and this was the 1st time I had dealt with the Phys. Inventory Journal in 5.0, so I was a little taken aback that the behaviour was so different.

Bob