Upgrade / License problem

ccbryan63ccbryan63 Member Posts: 115
Some time ago I had an interesting problem-- My client is a US subsidiary of a German firm. The parent corporation wanted the US company to use Navision, with the parent company's mods. So I ended up doing an upgrade to 4.0 and moving from worldwide to NA simultaneously.

Somehow during that process we ended up with a lot of objects in the current database that now as a developer I don't have access to, and that's blocking my present upgrade to 5.0. The objects (forms, tables, report and codeunits) are all in the 5047750 to 5047799 range, and relate to machine inspection and maintenance.

I am using a developer license, logged in to Navision as a superuser, and I am denied permission to these objects... so the upgrade step where the old objects are deleted errors out and I cannot proceed.

Any thoughts on how I can remove these (unused) objects?

Thanks...

Comments

• WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Well, if I understand correctly, this might be going on:
    It is not possible to put two country versions in one license. therefore, you should have a NA developer license and a German one. If you're working with the NA developer's license, you're not allowed to add fields in the range of the german localisation (I mean the localised objects).

A way to get arround this is:
    import a fob file with the new fields, use "merge new into existing" when importing them, afterwards, import your merged text file.
    To do this, it might be a problem because the C/AL might refer to objects that don't exist. Therefore, you might have to first alter the table (remove the code), save as fob, import the fob (merge existing<-New), import merged txt file.
    the "Merge Existing<-New" is necessary, because you want all your fields in it (both NA and German).
    If this has to be done for a lot of files, I created once (a very unpopular) download for it: No-permission-to-create-a-field-workaround: Table generator. Might be helpful.

Anyway ... hope this helps you a bit.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
    As you can read here, there might be another workaround for it, but I didn't try this yes, so I can't comment.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • ccbryan63ccbryan63 Member Posts: 115
    Thanks Waldo, but that's not quite the problem. The issue is not that I can't add or modify fields but that I can't touch the objects themselves. So when I run the 'delete objects' phase of the upgrade form 104001 it errors out because I don't have permission to delete form 5047750 'Inspection Plan'.

Anyone, anyone?
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    the number series seems to indicate this is an add-on. Is it an add-on of your own, which is part of your license?
    Sounds like object 5047750 is an add On. It's a b*tch indeed.
    You have to ask either delete permission for these objects (if MS or the ISV allows this), or change the script in 104001 (upgrade toolkit) to skip these objects... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    It's definately an add-on, and in a german numbering range. Get in touch with the German parent company's NAV partner, and have them put a request into the ISV partner that created the add-on, to have the execute objects released into the US market, so that you can order those granules into your developer license. This takes fricking forever to get accomplished, but if they are willing to cooperate, at some point the add-on will be available to be put onto a US license, and you can access the code without an issue.
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    I hope that you already have contats with the ISV, because usually they are a bit protective in these cases...
    Would there be a reason not to allow the "delete" permission in a license (as far as this is configurable)...

Eric Wauters
    My blog