Options

Has the SQL Reporting Rendering Engine changed in CTP4

bmccarthybmccarthy Member Posts: 48
edited 2009-06-23 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,
part of our addin solution adds text to reports to control application parameters via a virtual printer. Using CTP3 we modified the SQL Layout to contain these text values and everything worked fine. In the CTP4 preview we have noticed that this no longer works and that the rendered quality of the SQL reports printed from the Role Tailored client has disimproved.

Has the rendering engine changed for the SQL reports since CTP3?
And what will be the finally used method come release?
Or is there a way to change how the SQL report is rendered when printed to a printer?

Any help on this would be greatfully received! :|

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    I think you will need to talk to MS. They would know the details on what has changed.
    Also what do you mean by rendered quality ?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    clauslclausl Member Posts: 455
    Hi bmccarthy,

From CTP3 to CTP4 we upgraded from Report Viewer 2005 to Report Viewer 2008.

I would like to understand your issue. Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot or make a scan of the printed report?

Regards,
    Claus
    Claus Lundstrøm | MVP | Senior Product Manager | Continia.com
    I'm blogging here:http://mibuso.com/blogs/clausl and used to blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/nav
    I'm also offering RDLC Report Training, ping me if you are interested. Thanks to the 700 NAV developers that have now already been at my training. You know you can always call if you have any RDLC report issues :-)
  • Options
    Ya sure, where should I post it for you??

To give some more detail, we use a third party printer driver (blackice EMF) which outputs EMF files. With CTP3 this driver correctly represented the text in the NAV SQL reports in EMF and the text was searchable. In CTP4 it seems that the text is no longer present or has different encoding. I also noticed the in our EMF viewer that the render report quality dropped and hence thought perhaps the rendering had changed completely.

Cheers
    Bryan
  • Options
    Ok, I've got a good example... Print a report from the classic client to Microsoft Document Imaging. Notice how you can cut and paste text from the resulting XPS file to Notepad. Now run a report from RTC and do the same. Notice that you are not getting any text when you paste. I think you will find that if you do this test on CTP3 (which uses Sql Reporting 2005) that you can cut and paste the text for both Classic and SQL report versions. This is exactly my problem only I am printing to EMF.
    :?
    B
  • Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    In CTP3 we where using Microsoft Report Viewer 2005 - in CTP4 we shifted to use Microsoft Report Viewer 2008.
    I must admit that I never tested this on CTP3 - but I can see what you mean - I cannot select and copy text either.
    I have seen this behavior on some web pages, where selection is weird.

BTW -I did try to download SP1 for the ReportViewer - that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

It is probably something we need to take to the SQL team
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    Stryke69Stryke69 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    do you have any solution for this meanwhile?

Thanks, Alex
  • Options
    PhilThomePhilThome Member Posts: 5
    There's another strange thing: using SAVEASPDF the quality is much better than when running the report. Any suggestions where this difference might come from?